KPK Tenor vs. Kelii Tenor. Big sound difference?

Ryan<3Ukes

Reaction score
This Is going to be one of those " Is it worth it?" Threads. I was planning on buying a Kelii tenor but if it sounded similar to my KPK if when buy I it then I would be kind of dissapointed because it would be like buying the same uke for a higher price. I'm not asking if the ukes sound similar but if the Kelii sounds "better". I know my opinion is a big factor in this but I don't have access to playing and trying one out and even if I did it probably wouldn't have the strings on my KPK or the bone nut and saddle. If the kelii doesn't work out I'll probably try out a uke with different wood like an Ohana tk-50g cedar/rosewood uke. I'm kind of obsessed with getting a koa uke though Lol. :)

I'm kind of obsessed with getting a koa uke though Lol. :)

And from your signature...

Want: KoAloha Tenor. Gotta start saving!!!!

If the Kelii doesn't do it for you and you buy the TK-50G, you will have spent money that could've bought you the KoAloha. You have three ukes to keep you busy. Why not wait until you have enough to buy your heart's desire? Just a thought. :)

And from your signature...

If the Kelii doesn't do it for you and you buy the TK-50G, you will have spent money that could've bought you the KoAloha. You have three ukes to keep you busy. Why not wait until you have enough to buy your heart's desire? Just a thought. :)

Lol I should update my siggy. I got my Kala tenor "cashed in" if you know what I mean. My soprano is my beater uke. As for the KoAloha thing... Yeah I still really want one :) But its better for me to spend $500 vs. $800-$1000. I still need a car and I want my last uke before that period of extreme saving.

Keep an eye out in the marketplace and craigslist...you can get a premimum koa K uke for you budget...two months ago, craigslist here had a KoAloha concert for 375.00 good luck

Big sound difference between KPK and Kelii ? I don't know. And really I don't care. That is because the sound from my KPK soprano is quite lovely. It has a sweet tone to it, bell-like sounds, nice volume, and sustain. What more could I ask for in a ukulele that cost $150.00 ? And the set up by Jason with Wort clears and the rosewood nut and bridge was first rate and delivery in only three days ! I doubt you would be disappointed by a KPK tenor. I also doubt you would be disappointed by the Kelii.

Big sound difference between KPK and Kelii ? I don't know. And really I don't care. That is because the sound from my KPK soprano is quite lovely. It has a sweet tone to it, bell-like sounds, nice volume, and sustain. What more could I ask for in a ukulele that cost $150.00 ? And the set up by Jason with Wort clears and the rosewood nut and bridge was first rate and delivery in only three days ! I doubt you would be disappointed by a KPK tenor. I also doubt you would be disappointed by the Kelii.

Jason could have change the rosewood nut and saddle to bone for you for free. He did it on my tenor and I strung it with D'addarios and my tenor sounds really good.

"Better" is obviously highly subjective in this case. And since you're not looking at huge jump up the uke chain, I'd save your $500 for your car or as Stan suggested, keep an eye out for deal on Koaloha. Play the heck out of what you got and keep reading, listening and playing as many other ukes as you can. It's tough to resist, but you'll be happier in the long run once you get your dream uke. Kellii are pretty sweet ukes, but not so much better than what you have IMO.

I tried a Kelii concert: Beautiful, nice tone, but muted--didn't seem to project well. I don't know about the tenor, and it was just one instrument that I tried.

Top Bottom