Got to play a Mya Moe tonight...

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
My wife, my parents, and I went to a folk music concert tonight - Anne Hills, and David Roth, two gifted performers. While I've known Anne for years (Hired her to play at my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary, as she is their favorite performer), I've only heard David on the radio, and on CD.

He is a terrific performer, and very nice, personable, and a pleasure to talk to. When I noticed that he had a Mya Moe ukulele on stage before the concert, I asked how he liked it.

We chatted for a few minutes about ukuleles in general and Mya Moe in particular (And he had nothing but praise for Gordan and Char), and we shared the "if anyone had ever told me I'd be paying four figures for a ukulele! But Man, was it worth every penny!" conversation.

He told me that he had the uke set up for the first song ("Rhubarb Trees", the title song of the new album that he and Anne just released), but told me that I was welcome to play the instrument during intermission.

I didn't have to be told twice. (But I did check again, before I did so).

I had my wife snap a shot of me playing it:

mya moe_2.jpg

Chocolate Mango, #309, built 9/10.

I understand now.

I still prefer my Sceptre, but the Mya Moe is wonderful.

Thanks, David.

-Kurt​

If I ever get a custom it is going to be a Mya-Moe for sure. Played one at TBUG and it was just a simple mahogany one and it took all that was in me not to want to call my husband and beg him to let me buy it. Haha!

#309 is a beauty. It looks good on you, too! What did you think of the sound? I played the extra-special #500 at the 2011 Wine Country Ukulele Festival in September, and that pushed me to the dark side -- I now have two (a myrtle tenor tradition and a myrtle baritone classic) in the build queue. They really are magnificent instruments! I'm glad you both had the opportunity to play one.

The uke was somewhat quiet, played acoustically (granted, it was in a rather full performance space during intermission, and I wasn't playing to be heard by everyone, only me) but it had the resonance through the body that I've only felt in the Sceptre so far - not quite the same, but noticeable nonetheless.

Picked or strummed, it was really a joy to play - felt good, comfortable to hold, and a truly gorgeous instrument.

I have to agree with Mim - in the event I can ever afford a custom made uke, Mya Moe is at the top of the list. It also explains why Eugene Ukulele looks so happy in his videos. (g)

-Kurt​

Kurt, you would probably have to look long and hard to find a uke that equaled or bettered your Sceptre. That is a beautiful Mya Moe though.

Lucky.. I have never touched one and may never (unless you cave) but eugene ukulele has me sold and if I ever get a custom it will be up there on the list..

Kurt,

I played a Sceptre at Ukulele Source in San Jose shortly (maybe a few weeks) before you bought yours. It may even have been the one you bought. While I couldn't get past the shape of the Sceptre's body -- I kept stabbing myself in the legs -- I thought it was a wonderful instrument with great resonance. I can understand why people fall in love with them.

gee Kurt, the one you played is a beaut, so pretty, and mango is one of the best tonewoods I reckon. Must confess that, notwithstanding the amazing sound of those sceptre's, the shape of those has put me off buying one thus far...bit like Mark...need a packet of band aid's close by. But sure, those MM's can put a smile on a sad face no doubt! Nice picture brother, thanks for the post. :)

Top Bottom