my first crack at the harp ukulele

ukuleletim

Reaction score
Just got one of the Anuenue Harp ukuleles and got a song idea from it. I'm still wrestling with it but the idea is there anyway.

First thing I did was remove the low G and put on a high one so I could play my favorite campanella runs, as well as invent new ones with the diapason strings.

I tuned those strings so it would sound as close to a harp as I could get it with the normal tuning of the uke. They wound up being the same notes! From top string down it's C E A G. I have a feeling I will be constantly experimenting with tunings.

A sweet biproduct of the harp uke is it's resonance. When I play songs on it that don't use the diapason strings they behave as sympathetic strings, vibrating and creating a rich natural reverb sound.

Holy moly! That's GORGEOUS! Both the music AND the instrument. Nice work. I'll be looking forward to hearing you once you've learned how to play it ;).

O.K. Tim, put it back in the case for a year while I try to catch up !!
Whew! That is some seriously good stuff!
I will have to try that tuning. I've only had it in C D E F low G so far.

Bill

Excellent! Love this!

I'm sharing it on my Facebook Group "Uke Club" - there'll be loads of Ukés there who'll also enjoy this - thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you, everyone, for the very kind words. Very much appreciated.

Ambient and Trinimon, I got it last Tuesday or Wednesday and spent a day restringing and tuning it. My goal is to have it flow as seamlessly as possible between the harp strings and normal uke. I'm glad it's working!

Bill, if you like playing campanella runs and spacier sounding chords that reentrant affords, give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

Camsuke, if you are in the U.S. there were only 12 sent here (out of 82 made total). I think that at least 3 or 4 have already been sold, counting mine.

Thanks, UkeLad.. I'll have to go join!

That sounds wonderful! Great playing, the tuning seems perfect, it seems you have warmed right up to it. It has a very beautiful sound.

Tim, this is mindblowingly beautiful stuff. You're amazing player mate and that's just one of the sweetest melodies I've ever heard. Incredible. My hat is off.

Wow ukuleletim, I am glad one of those harp ukes made it to you. It sounds magical. Can't wait to hear more.

–Lori

Thanks, Eugene Zac and Lori. Wow. I am humbled... and working on something COMPLETELY different right this minute

Pete. Of course, you can embed it! It's my honor

My hat never comes off- and yet there it sits.
First off, you are one heck of a player.
Second, you are one heck of an innovator- to be able to make such joyful noise from a virtually unknown entity in a few days- I am amazed.
Last bit- great original melody there, beautiful

Man, that was great. Loved that song.

So glad you got the chance to get one of these. This instrument really fits perfectly with you. Dont think anyone else could have done better....

Just so the urban myth strays no further from the truth...
aNueNue made a limited production run of 88. The design is about 95% my original drawings sent to them - headstock and tiki logo obviously are theirs and they have omitted the string posts on the sub bass part, made it 14 fret to the body and terminated the fretboard to their 'house style'. I have decided that although this design style will remain in my portfolio, bespoke Pete Howlett Ukulele harp ukes (I have designs for both tenor and concert) will have a more modern sub bass design to distinguish them from aNueNue and of course have the more practical-for-this ukulele slotted headstock. I note that MGM says the quaslity has improved from the production model - I have yet to recieve my 16 pieces... yes, if you are in Eurpe and want one, you need to contact m,e at pete@petehowlettukulele.co.uk and reserve one - 3 pre-sold to date.

Top Bottom