Test your ability to differentiate pitch

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

According to this test, at 500 Hz I can reliably differentiate tones 1.5 Hz apart. No wonder it drives me nuts if my uke is slightly out of tune!

I note that the results aren't corrected for age, so take that into account when you're seeing how you compare to others.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 9.39.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 9.39.37 AM.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 44
I got 1.95 Hz apart but I guessed quite a few of the tones that I couldn't tell apart!

(and got them right, probably giving me a slightly better score than I should have)

Great post, really useful! cheers, g2

1 got 1.575 apart. I did find that there was a fatigue issue. I'd listen to those beeps over and over and they'd sound more and more alike. so I'd stop for a few seconds and the diference would be way clearer. I'd have never thought of ear fatigue.

I got 0.8625 through my Sony headphones. No wonder I'm always hearing stuff no one else does.... or they could just be those voices in my head again! :p

I definitely felt some ear fatigue once I got really into it. Towards the end I started messing up on stuff that I had no problem with earlier on. I imagine it would be less of a strain through my studio monitors.

Definitely a fun test!

I was taught, quite a long time ago, that a trained ear can differentiate pitches at 6 cents, so about 1/16 of a semitone. So, that would be a bit less than 2 Hz at this range. Which more or less agrees with the chart.

I'm not taking the test. As a music teacher, I think my ears are in a constant state of fatigue........... ;)

I don't know if this is a mistake but I got 0.375 hz but made 1 mistake at 0.75 hz. Took the test three times and always get to 0.375. I have Sennheiser earphones.

Maybe the decimal point needs to move over. I know I have good ears but horrible eyesight!! LOL

Thanks for posting the test site.

Got down to .375 but got distracted and finished with 1.05hz. Good enough to know I'm not totally tone deaf as I thought I was. lol Pretty fun exercise. My coworkers were getting annoyed at the sounds so had to go dig up the headphones. lol

1,3, which came as a pleasant surprise.

Hmmm. I think his scoring algorithm is a bit flawed. The first time I got distracted and missed one at a high level, then did quite well after, and ended up with a score of like 10.5hz. A proper algorithm would boot any result that was obviously a "flyer" as we called them when I was shooting.

The second time I didn't miss anything except one in the 1.5hz set and several (about 1 out of 5, maybe) in the .75hz set - yet this scored me at 2.4hz.

In fact, the second time through I made it through several of the 0.75hz samples before missing one. When I missed one, it started going back up, then back down again, and did that about three times. Each time I got the first few samples in the .75hz set correct and it was on the second or third iteration that I missed one in the 1.5hz range.

I just don't see how a single miss at 1.5hz and maybe 20 or 30% misses (at the outside) at .75hz can give a score of 2.4hz.

Anyway, pretty cool little test but I'd take the final score with a large dose of salt. Also, not sure of the usefulness of it. I scored pretty poorly (about 8 cents) yet I know that in a quiet room I can tune by ear (referencing string to string) about as tightly as my strobe tuner can measure - i.e. well under a cent. For tuning, once you get within a few cents you're listening for the beat note, not for whether one note is higher or lower than the other (this is why you always start tuning from below your reference string so you know you need to tune up until you get the beat note - after that it's just a matter of matching frequencies so the beat note goes away).

The important test for musicians is whether you can tell if the note you are playing is in tune with the note someone else is playing - and that's best done with the notes being played at the same time.

Still, fun.

Edited to add: Oh, and FYI i was using an $18 set of Philips earbuds and the grandkids were screaming in the other room... :)

John

Hmm changing the pitch...I will notice it right away...the tempo slows...that is why it is better for my untrained voice...I meant $hitty...ha ha
I have done alot of experminting....and I feel no one setting is good for me on all ukes...I set them to my style, voice and tone I want from my uke...
you have to play with it and learn how to tune by ear first...for starters, remember my dog has fleas..reinterent as anything, it is personal preference..
you know most all good musicians have their own special tuning...most don't
divulge them...:)

I scored normal on all the tests, except for the music/visual intelligence one, on that one I scored a 95%

The website reset itself when I tried to see how "normal" I am, which I'd guess I'm fairly normal. Headphones and what the headphones are plugged into are going to play a role here, but I got down to .75 hertz. If it's tough to hear the differences in pitch, it's probably your headphones and audio source. I was using these earbuds from China that are targeted sort of at the audophile set. These M2Cs compete with the Yuin Pk3 for best bang for buck earbud.

Innnnteresting... highest on the musical-visual, firmly in the midrange/normal/very good on everything but pitch, where I am low-normal. Which makes sense, because my entire life I've had trouble hearing half-steps sometimes. I blame my wasted youth and too many hours in the punk clubs back in the day :)

Curious about one thing though - how I could get a "very good" on the tonedeaf test but do so poorly on the pitch one. Wouldn't they be directly related?

Very cool!

I did pretty well at 0.4125. I'm crediting the fact that I was alive and tuning instruments back in the days before electronic tuners became ubiquitous.

JJ

Huh? What. Hearing test? I didn't hear anything. Oh well. Deaf dumb and blind ain't that bad....lol. Guess I need to click on the link to hear....awww still nothing. Can't hear a darn thing thru this iPad speaker. What
Ever happened to vinyl?

When I had my eyes closed I scored around a 3. I tried it again with my eyes open halfway through and I got around a 6. The first time I did it with my eyes open I got a 12.5. My android and a noisy room isn't exactly ideal for this type of thing though...

Top Bottom