New Uke Day - Broken goods :(

mattchiro

Reaction score
Bought my first uke a few months back (Fender Nohea Koa Laminate) which - was setup with tender loving care and plays beautifully. Was so impressed with the quality I bought a Fender Pa'ina (Solid Mahogany) online with a passive pickup.

The new uke arrived today. Tore the box open expecting loads of bubble wrap but found only a very thin layer of wrapping surrounding the gig bag. Opened the zipper and saw the nut had come loose. Was a bit bummed they wrapped it so poorly but thought it wasn't anything my local music shop couldn't fix.

Then to my shock my eyes caught a glimpse of what seemed like a tiny crack in the neck, which turned out to be a full length crack (whole headstock would snap off easily if I tried).

So bummed... Bought off ebay and was told by the seller that it was insured. Filed a claim my side (South Africa) and was told it will take up to 24 working days before I find out anything...

So upset and now I am sitting here not only gutted i've not received the instrument I wanted but also sad such a beautiful instrument would be damaged like this due to negligence....

Huge bummer! I had a similar thing happen with a uke I ordered from Hawaii. The seller took care of the problem immediately, but it was still a huge disappointment to open the box and find a damaged uke. Hope all works out for you quickly.

-Gary

Have you contacted the eBay seller to let him/her/it know that the ukulele was poorly packaged and arrived broken? I think that a decent eBay seller, if shown evidence of the problem, would refund your money and deal with the shipper for you.

For something as delicate as a uke, you'd think it was common sense to pack it with adequate padding. Can't expect a gig bag to protect it from rough handling. Well good to hear it's being looked into but I feel for ya with getting it broken and now having to wait almost a month.

Hope it works out in your favor in the end.

It is a reputable seller from San Francisco, CA. They are Submitting a case for insurance purposes with USPS but informed me it can take up to a month to sort out. Feel bummed I'm stuck without a new uke waiting/hoping to get my money back!

If all goes well I'm hoping to chip in a bit more and get a pono or something better. Found I preferred the glossy feel of the nohea compared to the mahogany wood texture...

Feel like I should get refunded and then USPS sorts seller out...

Whenever I buy a uke on ebay I always send the seller a note that says something like this "Thanks for having such a reasonable auction. You may know this already but please pack the uke well in bubble wrap and the double box it. I've had trouble with all the shippers. Also please insure it for the purchase value. If you would like more money for extra packaging or insurance I'll be glad to provide it". I usually get a positive response and most times the sellers don't ask for extra bucks. A note like this also establishes that you've asked for appropriate packaging if you need to make a claim. I've been on ebay since '98 and one thing that I've learned is never take anything for granted. Hope that you get it sorted, USPS claims can take that long even "in country". cheers, g2

Bummer! I got a uke on the way by airmail, and from the moment it was posted the DOA-scenario is going through my head. Hope you get things sorted out with the seller and you'll be playing your new uke in perfect condition soon.

Top Bottom