do strings ever get stretchier with time?

remy

Reaction score
I am currently using whatever strings came with my flea, and I'm increasingly noticing that they seem a little stretchier than usual. Granted, we did have our first cooler day here in NYC (how much effect does the weather have on your strings anyway?) But sometimes my finger slips and even pushes the string all the way off the board!

So here's my question, is this a sign that they are going to break soon? I know there have been other threads about how often to change them and everything, so I definitely am not that far along with them, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't order a back up now. I would hate to have to wait for new strings to come if one of them broke!

There should be an initial stretch when you first put them on. Weather does affect some strings, but typically warmer weather makes them more flexible than cooler weather. Soprano and concert strings have a lot less tension than the larger sizes, so they bend easily. Change strings when they sound like poop. Soprano and concert strings can last for a long long time without breaking. In fact, they almost never do unless something significant happens. Hope that sheds some light.

Yes, well I've had a lot of repressed anger to work off, so maybe I have a higher chance of breaking one. But this gives me hope. It would be awful to to have to sit around with a three stringed uke waiting for the UPS guy to briing my strings

personally, and ive asked around with people, stocked strings are awful. i always change them whenever i get a new uke.

but to answer you question, yes strings stretch. if you watch the uke min with aldrine at DaSilvas, i believe aldrine says something about strings.

Top Bottom