Ukuleleist, or ukulelist - which is correct?

Well my vote is for 'ukuleleist' since violinist uses the full name of the instrument.

Oh, wait, I just thought of pianist which does NOT use the full name of the instrument.

Still, I vote for 'ukuleleist'.

keep uke'in'... all you ukuleleists out there : )

Thanks Uncle Rod, that was my first inclination also... then I looked up John King's Wikipedia entry and saw "ukulelist" and got all confused!

Hmmm... What Would Jim Tranquada Do?

I'm not a linguistic, but the correct term should be "UKULELIST", following another terms to instrument players, like a guitarist, or violinist.

Probably both correct, I like 'ukeleer', which I just made up.

There may be a convention in music, or in English, that when the name of the instrument ends in a consonant, the letters "ist" are added to the full name of the instrument to create a word designating the player of the instrument (bassoonist, clarinetist, violinist), but when the name of the instrument ends in a vowel, the ending vowel is eliminated and the letters "ist" are added to the resulting word (cellist (not celloist), pianist (not pianoist)). On the other hand, I don't think a person who plays the banjo is called a banjist. If there is such a convention, though, the word would be "ukulelist" (ukulele - e + ist). Maybe "banjoist" is an exception.

Another vote for 'ukuleleist'. Pronounced oo-koo-lay-lay-ist?

On the other hand, I don't think a person who plays the banjo is called a banjist.
No, he or she would be a 'banjo player' :)
It's probably a special case though because 'j' and 'i' aren't natural companions.

-Tor

I'm finding this discussion both entertaining, and interesting! Please keep the responses coming, serious or not :)

FWIW: checked the tools of my trade; Google finds almost twice as many hits for "ukulelist" (dropping the final "e" in ukulele) over "ukuleleist. Google also shows nearly twice as many searches in favor of the former over the latter.

I don't think a person who plays the banjo is called a banjist.
no, but they get called lots of other things...he he reminds me of an old joke...what's the definition of 'perfect pitch'? Throwing a banjo into the toilet without hitting the seat oh well, as we like to say to banjo owners, "as long as you've got your health......"

back to the question...

I like "Ukeist"...easier to say (and spell!) :eek:

Not sure what conventional linguistics would dictate, but I find ukuleleist to more pleasing to pronounce.

Ukaholic.

Somebody explain flautist to me please.

uke'ist for me or uke'r maybe or just "that funny looking bloke with the instrument thats too small for him"
daz

Since the ukulele is still not really as popular (or as well known) as it ought to be, I think Ukuleleist communicates the idea better than Ukulelist. Ukulelist hides the root word too much. Both words show up as questionable in my Mac spell check. But English is constantly evolving, and usage is king. I still cringe when people say "impactful", but it won't be long before it's added to the dictionary.

–Lori

Is that phonically "youkissed" or "ookest"?
well vf...for a Tasmanian redneck full of country drawl, it's most certainly "youkissed"...but we've always known that the uke is the instrument of luuuuurve :love:

Top Bottom