a question of decals

finkdaddy

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a full-color logo on my headstock using a decal of some kind. Is this something that is done regularly, or is it considered a cop-out by uke players?

If anyone here has done this before, could you give me an idea of what method to use? Waterslip decal, self adhesive, or...?
Also, where is a good place to have them made?

Thank you in advance. :)

I love the look of decals. It's interesting to see all the old decals on ukes from years gone by. I sure wouldn't call it a cop-out, more like a statement. I haven't done them yet but I might some day.

Are those true decals or vinyl overlays?

I use two color rub-on transfers from Scary Creative in Van Nuys, CA. I then finish over them.

Waterslides work well. Vinyl decals have to have a shellac sealer on them because nitro will melt them. I recommend that you go talk with a trophy shop about cutting the inlay and headstocks with a laser. They usually price by the hour, so you should bring them a half dozen or more headstock veneers to get your full moneys worth. Here's one a friend does for me using a laser. He uses the ablam instead of actual shell.

Attachments

• DSCN1727.jpg
    DSCN1727.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 70
Wow, thank you for all the advice! I will definately check out all of those sites when I get home from work.
I thought I would show you what I had in mind.
This is similar to the label that I put inside my latest uke. I printed it on cream colored stock, so it doesn't look so bright as the pic.
The logo is the island, palm trees, and beach from the label.
I put it on my headstock with a waterslip decal that I printed myself.
It looks pretty good, but it's just a bit to translucent for me.
I thought a decal printed with the correct materials would work out a lot better.
I'll post a pic later so you can see what I mean.
untitled.JPG

Another option might be your local screen printing companies. I did that stuff for a few years and at one company we printed waterslide decals from time to time. You could get pretty colorful with it depending on how much you wanted to spend. The initial set up costs bucks but then once they have the screens and art, the decals should be pretty cheap in bulk.. if you planned on doing a few hundred or thousands lol.

Top Bottom