Do you do your own setup?

Hope4U

Reaction score
Hi All, Do you do your own setup, and if so, what is involved?

Almost want to say if you have to ask,.....get someone with experience to do it. :D

That said,....if it's a moderatly priced ukulele it will likely benefit from a basic setup, and is something a player can do if he is reasonably handy and goes carefully while knowing what to look for. I do all of my setup work on just about every ukulele i buy, as i tend to be fussy. As most were bought used, others may have altered the original setup prior to me recieving the instrument, as there is a lot of personal preferences involved that the maker can't know in advance. Even changing string brands and types can drastically change the feel, sound, and playability of the ukulele. Intonation often changes as well among the various string types.

A setup involves getting the string height at a optimum level at both the nut and saddle for your playing style. A strummer will require more string height than a light strummer/fingerstyle technique player. There is a happy medium that will serve most players well.

The best playing action can only happen if the frets have been properly leveled and crowned, and the neck is straight but with a touch of relief when strung to pitch. This is not always the case, especially on moderatly priced instruments.

Do a search on this site in the other forums that deal with maintenance and such(tech support), and you will find specific things to work toward. Often a player can spend the time necessary to set up the ukulele that the factories simply cannot on low cost instruments. You can end up with a fabulous player with just your time involved. A small cost in upgrading materials also can be involved, such as adding a bone or ebony saddle where previously there was a plastic one in place. This can be one of the best "bang for the buck" investments made.

.....and it can be great fun working on your own babies,......:D

Last edited:
Best is you learn to do it yourself..that way you know what your preferences are...for height action...depends on many factors...for comfort, playability and style...good luck...

I watched a video on youtube (I think it was in German w/English subtitiles) probably 30 times before I tried my hand at it on a cheapo uke I bought during an Amazon "Gold Box" deal that Tudrop turned me onto. I listened to the advice of a few luthier's on this site and ordered the correct tools from StewMac and really took my time during the process. It turned out great. Since then I've set up about a dozen ukes for myself and students (I'm a high school teacher) and I've also replaced nuts and saddles. After building a uke and having to do the set up from scratch, I gained the confidence to dial-in my Kamaka on my own. It's fun and somewhat rewarding to do your own work. The uke I built has become my main player, because there's something special about playing something you made. You'll know what I mean after you tackle the set-up of your uke :) Good luck!!

-Gary

I do all mine myself (except the ones MGM did)- posted what I do on this thread with this caveat- obviously I have much to learn, do a lot of it by feel (which is OK as this is not an exact science), and that I spend upwards of weeks doing one, slowly.
I was able to gleam my notes from this site, and most importantly from a few really well set up ukes I already owned. I knew what I wanted all my ukes to play like as I had a few in hand that were sweet (and different mind you).
Hope it helps-

I've done my own setups for years - when I have to. Even have all the proper tools (got tired of breaking nuts on guitars trying to "fix" them with a pocket knife). Notice I said, "when I have to." Even with the proper tools and knowledge doing a setup isn't fun (at least not to me). So, when I can get most stuff from Mim, MGM, etc. at only a few dollars more than I'd pay on Amazon or a big music e-tailer - I'm glad to let them work for peanuts! LOL

John

I've done my own setups on every instrument I've ever owned, and for others... sometimes multiple times on the same instrument until I am completely satisfied with it. (three times on my banjo, and twice on my mandolin) The one thing that has made my life easier than anything is a good set of nut files. Yeah, they are more than $100, but the ease of those things on my life is well worth it. Also, other good files for the nut are in order (get some real files, not the ones from the big box stores). If any fretwork is in order, a plane, blade removed and 2020-grit sandpaper is great. A good fret crowning file and some 400-grit sandpaper go a long way.

Dan

Like phart, I have done my own for many years. I just felt no one knew how I liked em set up better than I did..

Top Bottom