Decent Set-Up Baritone?

FlyedPiper

Reaction score
I've been playing concert size, but I feel good with where I'm at with the Flea for a while. I want to try a Baritone...

Not sure if I want to set it up traditionally or if I want to go GCEA with a low G... I've seen you can go with a traditional guitar string for a low G... learning traditional baritone chords would be OK too...

Any good vendor recommendations? I noticed Hawaiian Music Supply has a Kala bari for $200 with a hard case (that would be perfect) but they're out of stock... I want to get one for Christmas...

I want to get something decent sounding... somewhere just above Makala level. Setup is a must...

Thanks!

I got a Koloa baritone from another UUer and I think it is a great value for the money. You can get one from Elderly - http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KU650.htm It's all solid mahogany and it has a beautiful gloss finish, in person it looks like a very expensive uke.

Last edited:
You might consider a Kala solid mahogany, pretty instrument and has a great sound for the money.

flyed, you could check out the hole in the side units made by Riptide. I would like to try one myself and I do know they sound excellent as played by Glen Rose the famous ukulele jazz musician. I have a Makala which sounds pretty darn good but definitely diff than the Riptide. The Rogue I have not tried but for the price, you might as well find out about it. Why not? you can listen to Glen Rose's on youtube.

oh none of these are set up. You have to learn to do that yourself... I can help you with that... its easy

Awesome! Buying one Friday... thanks Stan.
I use special tunings on mine...if you want, let me know...they may not sound good in regular tuning.. actually I got two of them...both with different setups and tunings..liked them that much.
Actually I use them more for picking and figuring our songs...as they have a deep and rich sounds.. try the factory strings first and change them if you don't like them..not much to look at
but worth it to me..

Last edited:
My brother recently got a Riptide laminate from Amazon for about $150. I doubt it was set up, but everything was spot-on. Really projects well and deep warm tone.
I switched out the strings for GCEA from Southcoast ukes.

You might consider a Kala solid mahogany, pretty instrument and has a great sound for the money.

:agree: @ $239, may be a baritone best buy. I think it is the best sounding Kala solid mahogany uke of all. Love that tortoise binding too.

If it's your first baritone..Id go with a Rogue...it's inexpensive and good for the price, have mine since I started and still play it daily, lowered the action and its great....that way you will know if you will stick with it or not....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-baritone-ukulele I personally Like the standard DGBE....GCEA is too high tension for me...

I hate to disagree with you Stan, especially since I have gotten a lot of good advice from you, but he did say decent and set up. These do not come set up and in my opinion are not decent. I got 2 and sent both back. I'd hate to see anyone get turned off baris because of an inferior instrument. At least get a Kala or Lanikai. Saw the OS OU-3 solid sprucetop on ebay for $150. that might be nice? anyone have one of those. I'm really impressed with my Lanakai solid sprucetop tenor, so their bari might be a nice one for the price, $189.

Last edited:
My Koloa did not come set up so I had it done by a luthier friend. I strung it with Southcoast Ukes' linear flat wounds and have it tuned F Bb D G and man it sounds good. Nice instrument for the money. I was considering the Kala, but at the time I bought the Koloa there were no Kala's available. The Kala does look and sound very nice.

I hate to disagree with you Stan, especially since I have gotten a lot of good advice from you, but he did say decent and set up. These do not come set up and in my opinion are not decent. I got 2 and sent both back. I'd hate to see anyone get turned off baris because of an inferior instrument. At least get a Kala or Lanikai. Saw the OS OU-3 solid sprucetop on ebay for $150. that might be nice? anyone have one of those. I'm really impressed with my Lanakai solid sprucetop tenor, so their bari might be a nice one for the price, $189.[/QUOTE

Aloha Andy,
No problem man...I don't expect everyone to agree with me...buy I love my rogue ukes....I play them very much.. and get very much enjoyment out of them...I'm not sure how long he has
been playing or how much experience he has ...but with these ukes you need some....they need strings and a set up or I played them as is for years before...and you need to know how to tune them...adjusted tunings...once you get that far, it is a fun and rich sounding uke..maybe better for picking and figuring out songs and learning how to tune by ear....well worth the $29.99 after that all is free... I know some may never get a hang for the uke or brand, but for the price why not try..they are good ukes to learn on if you perservere...

I appreciate you looking out for me, Strumsilly. I haven't pulled the trigger on the uke yet, but I probably still will. I think I can dig what Stan is talking about as far as just getting a feel for the bari size and getting a chance to try one out. I don't have a ton of cash to throw around so I really don't want to spend over $150 or so until I'm SURE I want a baritone. For $30 I'm not expecting much... Other than that it looks like Kala has some decent ones in that pricerange, if and when I decide to upgrade.

I'm sure Stan will help me get it sounding as good as it can possibly sound...

I just figure for the price it will give me an idea of what the bari is like and not put a dent in my funds.

yea. plus if you buy from a big guy[Amazon, MF, etc] and it is not playable/tweekable you can send it back. strings can make a BIG difference in these laminated cheapies. I bought a cheap no name vintage off ebay and was ready to deep six it. put some Aquilla baritone GCEA strings on and WOW, it sounded good.

I will when I'm in the market for new strings... I figure I'll wear out the ones it comes with unless they sound so ungodly it renders the uke unplayable... thanks for the tip though.

Speaking of which, when I'm ready to install new strings, how hard is it to do a setup on my own? Any tips?

you need knowledge first...you can watch you tube videos...your first could be touch and go..you need a inexpensive uke to try first....as for the strings...many say they don't like the strings,
but they work for me...the stock ones...it's all about personal perference and depends if you can work them out...and tuning.. experience does help in that case...

Top Bottom