George Formby

UkeLad

Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread to share with other fans/anyone interested in the great George Formby Jnr (26 May 1904 – 6 March 1961).

This gentleman came from the place where I was born and live (Wigan) and was born approximately a mile away from where I live - I include a photo of a plaque to commemorate this.

plaque.jpg

Anyhow, more on the man and his music later, but for now I just thought I'd let you know - I'm on a mission!

George was buried in Warrington Cemetery in Cheshire - not too far way from Wigan (I work there as a matter of fact) - I've got the day off work today, so myself and my two Border Collies Rosie & Trixie are going to visit this gents grave.

Photos to follow.

I'd like to say it's "turned out nice again" - but the weather's rotten - raining and cold, but it shall not deter us from our quest! :D

See you later!

:)

Neil.

Nice moviette. I take it one of the dogs was driving while you did the filming?

The recent documentary on Formby said that the top, fancy part of the monument is dedicated to his father. The George we love is in the plain, lower middle part, so his dad got top billing....ouch!

The recent documentary on Formby said that the top, fancy part of the monument is dedicated to his father. The George we love is in the plain, lower middle part, so his dad got top billing....ouch!

Very true Gillian - 'our' George is George Junior.

When he first started on stage, he used his Mother's maiden name and performed as George Hoy - because he didnt want to see the name George Formby printed any way other than as top billing, this in respect of his very famous top-billing Music Hall father.

If ever you hear any of his dad's stuff, you'll see that a lot of George's early songs were done the same - he even used his dad's character "John Willie" in his act. :)

I was just watching the Frank Skinner doco again just yesterday! Always interesting to read of anything relating to George!

....If ever you hear any of his dad's stuff, you'll see that a lot of George's early songs were done the same...

There's a whole heap of George Snr MP3s on the WWW. You can 'see' exactly where George Jnr's influence re humour etc came from! They sound SO alike.

THanks for that Ukelad!

Roberta

I was just watching the Frank Skinner doco again just yesterday! Always interesting to read of anything relating to George!

....If ever you hear any of his dad's stuff, you'll see that a lot of George's early songs were done the same...

There's a whole heap of George Snr MP3s on the WWW. You can 'see' exactly where George Jnr's influence re humour etc came from! They sound SO alike.

THanks for that Ukelad!

Roberta

No worries Roberta - thanks for replying.

It is amazing to see how he used his Dad's act - some might say it was a 'rip off' - others an affectionate tribute - to me, it seems to be George's way of ensuring his Dad's stuff lived on - a fitting tribute and why not? A son taking over 'the family business' is no bad thing.

You can also hear more about George and his Dad here... and George's Mother speaking about them interesting stuff. :)

http://www.georgeformby.org/audio/

:)

Top Bottom