Help with 'friends'

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Being an old guy I don't quite undertand the requests to be 'friends' with me. I've said yes to every request :D but I don't know what this means? How will I use these contacts and how will they use my details? Why would anyone want to be friends with an opinionated old fart like me in the first place :eek:

Being an old guy I don't quite undertand the requests to be 'friends' with me. I've said yes to every request :D but I don't know what this means? How will I use these contacts and how will they use my details? Why would anyone want to be friends with an opinionated old fart like me in the first place :eek:

hmmm good question I never really understood the whole adding friends thing with other forums and webpages I've joined. I guess its a matter of really getting to know other UKERS around the world. I usually ask to be friends because I'm a newbie and it would be great to ask these newly added friends questions and just to talk about anything ukulele. In "real life" i'm more comfortable speaking and sharing things with people I am acquainted with even if its as platonic as just asking what there name is, i just consider it being friendly.

Maybe people are asking to be your friend cause your totally AWESOME!! :cool:

PS
I like people young or OLD!!!:p

It means that a lot of people want to be close to you. Most of them are probably looking for a discount, so be aware!
Other than that, it does not appear to have a real function yet over here. You can leave messages on other people's profile page, but to anyone, friend and enemies. Just that, having many friends is considered the Holy Grail around here. That's why we are so friendly to each other... most of the time ;)

(mostly tongue in cheek, just to be sure)

Now totally awesome is something I wish I was - thank you for speculating so kindly:rock:

PS I just use the icons cos I like them - trouble is I want to use the banana all the time and it's just not appropriate!

Now totally awesome is something I wish I was - thank you for speculating so kindly:rock:

PS I just use the icons cos I like them - trouble is I want to use the banana all the time and it's just not appropriate!

Appropriate? Appropriate? Here at UU we make appropriate our bitch. :nana:

Us "old" guys gotta hang together. :D Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's American slang, Pete, generally used by a younger generation of teens and 20-something-ish folks. It is used in informal or popular cultural contexts, between friends, but would be wholly out of place--and would thus be inappropriate--in a professional environment or workplace.

I'm not quite sure how to translate it. I've never liked the phrase myself due to its sexist implications. I have heard my students of both genders use the phrase. Most often, the phrase is used as a metaphor to declare one's mastery or ownership of a given object. It could also mean something like, "here on UU, we disregard convention and make our own rules."

To me, the phrase is somewhat akin to wearing a t-shirt with the image of Che Guevara printed on it. The t-shirt is supposed to express the wearer's commitment to "radical" or "revolutionary" ideas, but leaves the entire system of capitalist production and consumption (which produced the t-shirt in the first place) unquestioned. Likewise, the phrase "here on UU we make appropriate our b---" portends to reject convention even as it confirms rather than questions the convention of chauvinism.

By the way, I know that Seeso was just playfully saying, in his role as a UU moderator, that on this forum it is fine to use any icon, whether or not it seems "appropriate."

Last edited:
When you are UU friends with someone, and that person asks you to do something, you have to do it, or ther will be repurcussions. I think its in the Geneva convention.

I remember my youth as if it was yesterday but we still talked so everyone could understand us! When I used the term 'boned up' in my 10th grade class, meaning revised or refreshed my knowledge (and it was "Mr Denley and I will bone up on this..." :rofl:), the group burst out into fits of laughter. Oh well:eek: now I know I truly am an old fart and will be able to dye my hair green, spit in the streets and drag my cane along the railings with impunity:nana:

Appropriate? Appropriate? Here at UU we make appropriate our bitch. :nana:
Helping drubin out (or making the mess bigger, whichever comes first), I would translate this as "we decide for ourselves whether things are appropriate and do not let others tell us what to do or do not, so use the :nana: at will and you will be the better for it".

Either that, or seeso is trying to sell something.

(I fear for the repercussions that will follow for using "boned up" in a US-centered forum)

Top Bottom