PDA

View Full Version : Not uke, but very well might be uke builder related.. ;)

Tudorp
12-07-2011, 05:04 AM
As I have always claimed, I have always been a tinker'r, and play with lots of stuff. I have messes with wood working for years, and have since a kid with my dad. I started building the mini ukes a bit ago, and being a man with many hobbies, here I devulge yet another one. I am a long time pipe collector. And messing with some of the woods I have been with ukes, got me wanting to try my hand in another passion. I want to hand make some pipes. I have some scrap peices of ebony that I think might make a cool smoking pipe. But, do any of you guys have some useless scraps of briar, or other figured exotic woods ya might want to unload that aren't large enough to do anything instrument related? For a pipe, it would have to be very tight grained, or figured, because those are the woods that wont just burn up in your hand.. hehheh... I'm looking to start piling up small blocks of wood like this to start playing with carving pipes from...

ukebuilder
12-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Tudrop,
I got into pipe making some time ago and I bought a box of briar and pipe parts. Most have been kinda tarted and I mean roughed out. some not. Its a shoe box of stuff. I even have a couple I started and never finished. I will make sure I still have it but if you would like it let me know. Maybe we could trade for it. I don't remember what I paid for it and I can also take a pic and send it. I love trading so if you are interested let me know. I will go find it.

Steiner
12-07-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm going to try and make one out of osage orange. I heard that's an ok pipe wood.

Tudorp
12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Just sent ya a PM about the Box-O-Pipe stuff..

I think I still have some chunks of old osage orange in my shop. Me and my dad chopped down a huge bush of that stuff (VERY hard stuff). If I still have a chunk or two of that stuff, we chopped that down over 20 years ago, I remember it being hard as rock, and might be a cool wood to make a pipe from. It is pretty wood when cleaned up and polished..

joejeweler
12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Just sent ya a PM about the Box-O-Pipe stuff..

I think I still have some chunks of old osage orange in my shop. Me and my dad chopped down a huge bush of that stuff (VERY hard stuff). If I still have a chunk or two of that stuff, we chopped that down over 20 years ago, I remember it being hard as rock, and might be a cool wood to make a pipe from. It is pretty wood when cleaned up and polished..

If the pipes don't work out with osage orange,....you can always start building mini-longbows with it! Great wood for that. :D

Tudorp
12-07-2011, 08:24 AM
"mini-longbow"... Kinda makes me chuckle. Same thing happens when I hear the term "Jumbo-Shrimp", or "Authintic-Replica"... ;)

joejeweler
12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
"mini-longbow"... Kinda makes me chuckle. Same thing happens when I hear the term "Jumbo-Shrimp", or "Authintic-Replica"... ;)

Yep,....just some of thousands of oxymorons. If you want to have a good time, i was amazed at the shear number of them recorded at the site below. Most folks have heard of the common ones like "military intelligence", but some are lesser known but pretty funny.

http://www.oxymoronlist.com/#m

Steiner
12-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's an awesome Osage pipe.

If you have extra pieces of that 20 year old osage orange big enough for pipes, I'd be interested in taking one or two off your hands.

Tudorp
12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Thats cool looking.. I'll have too dig through my shop and see if I can un-earth that stuff assuming I still have it. My dad kept a butt load of that stuff when we cut that bush down. Some logs up to about 3" diameter. He used to turn awsome small bowls and things out of it. I'll see if I can find some of it that was left over.

ukebuilder
12-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I am not sure how well other woods would work, the reason they use briar is that it does not burn like other woods. It is a burl that grows under ground on the root. Kinda cool really. I know of people using a liner in other material to keep it from burning. Let me know how the Osage turns out. I would be interested as I to have left overs from making longbows.

Steiner
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm also using osage as fretboard and bridge material. If you have that much of it, you could use it for any future uke projects. Assuming you can handle the bright color.

ukebuilder
12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I have seen a uke made from it but not sure how it would sound. Osage is bright but if it sets out it will get almost black in color. I have a bow that is less than a year old and it is a nice dark brown color. You would be amazed how fast it changes color.

Tudorp
12-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Im not sure if I have any left. I haven't seen it in years, but that doesn't mean it isn't burried in my wood stash. I know dad had a bunch of it, but I think much of it was used by him, and some of the smaller stuff he may have given away, or even burned while i was serving in the Air Force. But, I mentioned it awhile back that I wanted to see if I still had any to use for fretboard when someone mentioned types of alternative fretboards wood.

Ed Gilkison
12-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Hi Tony,
I'm pretty sure they use to make pipes from corn-cob too! I think I saw a large piece of Texas/Mexican ebony out in the shop - with vivid white/yellow stripes running through it - some of that 'dumpster dive' stuff from the cabinet shop he works at - dad has been using it for the bridges on his ukes he builds. Will see if my brother will let me have a bit of it for you -
: )

Tudorp
12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Ed, you are turning out to be my cool wood drug dealer, hahhah.. I actually like the stripped ebony like that. I have some pure black ebony already. I love the stuff, but the stripped stuff I always thought was really cool looking.

And yes, they did make em out of corn cobs.. That is the classic "Hill Billy" pipe. My dad loved those things, and had several of them...

ukebuilder
12-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I have a buddy that builds high-end yachts. Well Tiger woods had his made at this shop. He gets me wood all the time. Some of the wood I have never heard of. I also have a guy that I have built two instruments for and he gets me wood all the time. He owns a tree cutting business and all I can say is I have a life time supply of walnut. I do get some nice maple from him as well. he calls and wants something and I end up with a truck load of wood. I have had to dry some of it but most has been sitting around. I seem to just find wood and people just bring it to me. I have a piece that looks like purple heart but it is not and I have never figured out what it was. Wood buddies are great.