WANTED: Your Woody Guthrie video for new Youtube channel

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
2012 is Woody Guthrie's 100th birth anniversary. I've started a new Youtube channel called Woody2012ukulele that will feature ukulele covers of songs Woody wrote and/or sang. But, I NEED YOU!

EVERYONE is welcome to record any Woody Guthrie song (both Woody's originals and covers) and add them to this Youtube channel. Send your video and audio files to:
woody2012ukulele@gmail.com and I'll upload them to the channel.

Don't worry if there is a version of the song you want to sing on the channel already. It's okay to have 18 versions of "This Land is Your Land'"! If you have audio only, I'll produce it as a video.

Let's celebrate this truly American voice who now belongs to the world by playing the uke!

Thanks!

Oh, this is SO cool. Going to have to participate, but it will probably be a few weeks before I have time to do a video - work is crazy right now.

Woodie Guthrie was da man! Didn't realize he was born that long ago. Kinda makes me feel old - my twenty-something youngest daughter didn't know who I was talking about and thought I'd lost my mind when I started mouthing off about this! :(

John

Alan, THIS IS AWESOME...I'll put a few up for sure mate...I especially love the gloriously goofy songs he wrote for his kids, amongst so many great ones. What a wonderful idea brother. :)

I'm going to have trouble ignoring this, I'm already picking songs..

Does it have to be purely uke? Or can I have an accompani-....acc-....a fella that plays guitar?

I think it's a neat idea, but devoting a channel to cover tunes by an artist who's music is (as far as I know) still under copyright is probably asking for trouble.

At least if they take the channel down, I don't think they can go after the individual contributors.

I think it's a neat idea, but devoting a channel to cover tunes by an artist who's music is (as far as I know) still under copyright is probably asking for trouble.

At least if they take the channel down, I don't think they can go after the individual contributors.

shucks..was that a wet blanket that hit me in the face...he he...good point though itsme ;)

You bring up a good point. And you answered it! Awesome!

I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket or anything, honest. In fact, I think Woody would have fully approved of youtube covers of his songs. :)

From Wikipedia:

In his recordings in the early 1940s Woody Guthrie included the following “Copyright Warning”:

“This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don’t give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that’s all we wanted to do.”[94] Currently the copyright in much of Woody's songs is claimed by a number of different organizations.[95]
Copyright law has changed and expanded since then and 28 years no longer applies. But publishers are more aggressive about their "rights" these days.

Anyway, I'd say just keep the specs off the map so if they decide to yank this channel, they can't go after anything else you've got up on another. ;)

It's okay to have 18 versions of "This Land is Your Land'"!

I certainly hope at least one of those 18 will include the seldom-sung "missing" verses. You know, the part they don't teach in American public schools:

In the squares of the city, in the shadow of a steeple
In the relief office, I saw my people
And some were stumbling, and some were wondering,
If this land was made for you and me?

As I went rambling that dusty highway
I saw a sign, said "Private Property"
But on the other side it didn't say nothing
That side was made for you and me.

Nobody living can ever stop me
As I go walking my freedom highway
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

I'm not a singer, so no, that someone won't be me...

Best idea EVER. A true American hero that Woody was...bless you for remembering him in this way. I play his music every day, every night...and any time I can find in between. Video submitted, warts and all.

Top Bottom