I want your Woody Guthrie covers for new YT channel!

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
2012 is Woody Guthrie's 100th birth anniversary. I've started a new Youtube channel called Woody2012ukulele that will feature ukulele covers of songs Woody wrote and/or sang. But, I NEED YOU!

EVERYONE is welcome to record any Woody Guthrie song (both Woody's originals and covers) and add them to this Youtube channel. Send your video and audio files to:
woody2012ukulele@gmail.com and I'll upload them to the channel.

Don't worry if there is a version of the song you want to sing on the channel already. It's okay to have 18 versions of "This Land is Your Land'"! If you have audio only, I'll produce it as a video.

Let's celebrate this truly American voice who now belongs to the world by playing the uke!

Thanks!

Man, you got it! Coming up in a few days! Or rather: at once... http://youtu.be/RytM7rdBRug
I just sat down and did it one first take, the song is so good it plays itself.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea, Alan. I'm definitely going to try to get in on this one.

I'll need to spend some time boning up on my Woody though.

Er... I mean... um... I need to get more familiar with Mr. Guthrie's oeuvre. :eek:

JJ

Brilliant idea, Alan. I'm definitely going to try to get in on this one.

I'll need to spend some time boning up on my Woody though.

Er... I mean... um... I need to get more familiar with Mr. Guthrie's oeuvre. :eek:

JJ

Ha! I'd liove to see another uke vid from you, JJ. It's been way too long!

I am going to bump this one to the top- it really ain't finished yet.
Had a lot of good ones so far, but we could use a little more Woodie in this world

I started one today. Hope you don't mind if ther are other instruments besides uke in it. But uke is the main one.

I just want to make a couple of points here.

1) I tried to do as Alan suggested and post the video to the woody2012ukulele Gmail address
only for gmail to say that there was a limit on the size of the attachment that it could send.
I think it was about 40 mega. So if you have big videos then they won't go through.

Just thought I would mention this as I even had a problem downloading a file Rutle had done
for me since it was over 200 mega in size and I am on the end of a slow line.

I have abandoned the idea of HD Videos because they are so huge, and take for ages to upload
often resulting in failure to finnish the job anyway.

What is a reasonable file size to upload anyway???

2) I noticed that Alan had made up a playlist of favourites featuring Woody songs on ukulele
from different individuals... that seems to be the way to go, and only one song on the channel
had been an upload.

So which of the two methods should we go with?

I also tried to send the video to the email address, but had the same experience. That's why UKISOCIETY had to put it up as a 'favorite' instead. Maybe that's the simplest way...the most important thing is to get the songs out...

I've been rehearsing a song for this. I have never recorded anything in the past, so this is pushing my comfort zone, but I'm close to recording and submitting.
--G

Bumping it again- there have got to be more out there!

Thanks for the reminder. I have two I plan to record next week. I'm sure there are more out there and I look forward to seeing them.

Top Bottom