Squeek...Honk....Toot: Caution, accordion content ahead

TCK

Reaction score
OK- I probably should have left the Uke out. I learned something though- if you are going to play a rhythmic instrument, do not play the basses on your squeezebox!
This is about the first tune I learned on any instrument, and the Uke is only there so it can be included in the Woodie Guthrie youtube tribute. I played it about a million times back then, and my wife threatened to leave me if I played it again...So I played it a million times more to see if she was joking or not (she was totally bluffing).
I know it is not a Woodie Guthrie tune per say, but I learned it from him. I will never forget the day the sage wisdom was passed down from the aged one (my Da'), who has played steel guitar for fifty years. "Son, you are playing that WAY too fast".
Indeed I was. So here we go- Red River Valley, from the top, WAY TOO FAST. Punk rock version if you will :)

oh yeah, sweet Dave...get ready to catch my nan's underwear now... :uhoh:

you can sure play the heck out of that thing brother

Dave, you rawk! Awesome stuff, my friend..... a buddy loaned me a pretty nice accordion a few weeks ago and I've been torturing my family with it - a steep learning curve, but loads of fun. Keep the squeezebox content coming, man, a truly joyful noise....

Hahaha- THIS MACHINE MAKES FASCISTS POLKA!
Glad you all liked it- thanks for tuning in :) even the wife smiled when she heard it being played again.
Nan's underwear- Jon, you are HILARIOUS.
Hey Bill- I have a few videos out there about how to play the sucker- let me see if I can hunt them up, but yeah, it is hard...really, if you want to hear someone really play it, go see the DOC's channel- he does everything just right :)

Nan's underwear- Jon, you are HILARIOUS.

I misread it and thought Jon had written "man's underwear" - I had pretty much decided that I didn't want to know what was going on there.

Great job on the squeezebox. I can't even come close to describing myself as a fan of the accordion (accordion jokes, now, those I love) but that sounded pretty darn good - especially for a contraption with that many buttons :boggle:

John

It seems I am doomed OldePhart- The only jokes that out-number accordion jokes are banjo jokes :) My street cred is totally shot lol.
Thanks for the kind words folks.
Coriandre- A quick tip on the accordion and learning it. Go to the music store and search out the EZ-Play Today organ books (made for about a million artists.). The reason I say that is because they print the right hand notes HUGE. Once you don't have to squint and hunt with the right hand, the bass part becomes a lot more fluid. That and the same thing folks tel you when you take up the uke- play something you could play in your sleep.
Good luck with it- more folks should play the pump. Builds character ;)

Now for the jokes-
"If you drop an accordion and a banjo off a 20-story building, which one lands first?
Who cares?"
and my favorite one-
"A man walks into an antique shop and notices a brass rat sitting on one of the top shelves. He asks the clerk, "How much for that brass rat?". The clerk says "Well sir, it's $25 just for the rat, and $50 if you want to hear the story that goes with it. Take my word, you'll want to *hear* the story." The man says "No, I believe I'll just take the rat for $25."

So, this fella takes his brass rat and heads down the street. Right away he notices that a *real* rat is following him, so he makes a quick turn down the next street. He passes an alley, at which point about a half-dozen rats come out and start following him. This guy is getting pretty panicked at this point, so he starts heading out toward the outskirts of town. When he passes the town dump, *hundreds* of rats stream out and follow him. Our hero is beside himself at this point, so as he passes the river that winds around town, he tosses the brass rat right in the drink. Every last one of the real rats follows the brass rat into the river and drowns.

Relieved, our protagonist heads back to the antique shop where he got the brass rat. "I knew it!", says the clerk, "You're back to hear the story about the rat, aren't you?". "No sir", says the guy, "I just wanted to find out how much you're asking for that brass accordion I see you've got up there."

Never apologize for putting an accordion in a video. :)

Accordion-playing ukers unite!

JJ

P.S. Obligatory accordion joke: The other night I stopped by a bar for a quick drink. I figured it would be okay if I left my accordion in the backseat of my car. Sure enough, after a few minutes I hear a "crash" and the tinkle of glass. I rush outside, only to see that one of my car's windows has been busted out. With trepidation, I peer into the car and...

...sure enough, there were now two accordions in the backseat. :)

Last edited:
Had to watch this again..... good stuff. My grandmother used to sing me this when I was a wee lad.....

Something you'll never hear over a PA: "Would the accordion player please move his Porsche?"

Q: Which is better, accordion or banjo?
A: Banjo - you can use it as a club to drive away the accordion players...

And, of course, a whole mess o' accordion nudist jokes...

John

Why thank you Ken :) It is fun to get it out of the box and unleash it on the unsuspecting.
Oldephart- what do you call a group of female accordion players in the nude? Ladies in Pain.
It is a great old tune innit Bill?

Aloha Dave,
Whoa...knew you played the accordian..that was cool..love dat song..woo hoo...thank you for sharing..

Top Bottom