uke store in nyc?

There's not a uke store that I know of, but I did see two or three ukes in the display case at Sam Ash (48th st?). I would bet they have strings there, and they do actually have a bit of uke music as well, like jumpin jims and a couple other things. That store, by the way, takes up an entire block, so it's got to be your best bet in the city, in my opinion.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I should have probably mentioned before that there's a place called "East Village Music Store" at 21 East 3rd Street that has a decent selection for a small store. I think they have like 7 or 8 different kala ukes.

Last edited:
Rudy's on 48th St. has some ukes upstairs in their acoustic room. Sam Ash didn't impress me much; the only ukes they had were Oscar Schmidts.

Word. Thanks for the info. Saved me a trip.

People regularly mention Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island and a place in Brooklyn (Vintage Strings? or something like that) that I once tried to find during a trip there and they were closed on that very day. These are both pretty serious stores, with expensive Martins and vintage stuff. Sorry for the vague info, I am trying to remember and will edit it in if I find anything.

Contact the NY Ukulele Ensemble, perhaps they can give you a tip.

Last edited:
Mandolin Bros. is great. They have a nice selection of Kamakas, Flukes/Fleas, vintage Martins, and other fun stuff. Just don't expect to find many cheap instruments there; most of the store is high-end and out of my league. ;)

Re Mandolin Bros in Staten Island

Thats right, I shopped for a Kamaka there, saw what they had online first and then actually went in and played that $25,000 vintage Martin uke, it was just hanging there on the wall!!!! Very nice people, he even said it was nice to hear someone play the kamaka that actually knew how to play it...wow, swell head!! Anyway, like others have said they have very nice stuff and also the fleas (side by side comparisons are a very convincing way to choose a uke). After I compared a new Kamaka to the flea, I came a way with a definite decision.

So there you have it, not in a nutshell I'm afraid. But I much preferred Mandolin brothers over Sam Ash (and other Manhattan music stores) and the Guitar center in Brooklyn Atlantic Center. Well worth the trip if you can get there. They also do repairs and appraisals on all types of string instruments.

Good luck...

Ooh, I might be taking a nice trip on the Staten Island Ferry one of these days. I should take my uke along and entertain all the tourists! I never thought the outer boroughs would have any more than we have here, so it didn't occur to me to even look. This is exciting! :D

For music, there's also that kinda weird-looking music store that I think is on 50th and Broadway. You know what I'm talking about? With all the campy figurines and broadway stuff. I have found some uke books there, though nothing you couldn't order on the internet. They don't have equipment or anything though.

Maybe we should start our own uke store! My super told me that they have a studio in my building that just opened up for $1800... So yeah, I'm sure we could afford to open a store if we have a bakesale or something

I'll bake something for the cause...or at least try and talk my girl into baking something;)

Ooh, I might be taking a nice trip on the Staten Island Ferry one of these days. I should take my uke along and entertain all the tourists! I never thought the outer boroughs would have any more than we have here, so it didn't occur to me to even look. This is exciting! :D

For music, there's also that kinda weird-looking music store that I think is on 50th and Broadway. You know what I'm talking about? With all the campy figurines and broadway stuff. I have found some uke books there, though nothing you couldn't order on the internet. They don't have equipment or anything though.

Maybe we should start our own uke store! My super told me that they have a studio in my building that just opened up for $1800... So yeah, I'm sure we could afford to open a store if we have a bakesale or something

You could be the first UU outlet store, complete with UU gear and ukes!!

I'm a Staten Islander-- I love mandolin bros.... even if its to get some strings (I always feel odd going to ogle the nice stuff if I dont buy anything)

We should have a NYC are jam-- we NYers seem to be growing in numbers!
--Cashew

I'm a Staten Islander-- I love mandolin bros.... even if its to get some strings (I always feel odd going to ogle the nice stuff if I dont buy anything)

We should have a NYC are jam-- we NYers seem to be growing in numbers!
--Cashew

You're not the only one who plays priceless stuff and then walks out with a set of strings and a tuner. ;)

There are more New Yorkers here than I thought! I am up for a jam. :D

I don't know how much I could contribute to a jam. I'm still way on the new side of newbie! But I could at least provide some applause and foot tapping! And beer, I'll bring beer!

Dude, you don't even live in NYC, do you? I'd be feeling this deach magnetism if you did. My head might explode.

Last edited:
It's four short hours away. I've eaten at buffets for longer periods of time.

Well, then coming to visit us instead of going to a buffet might even be good for your health. We'd be doing you a favor dragging you over here!

I'm down. I've never been around other people w/ ukuleles. Maybe my head a-splode, too. We could have a meetup at a buffet...get there early and stay all day... get our money's worth.:D

I'm down. I've never been around other people w/ ukuleles. Maybe my head a-splode, too. We could have a meetup at a buffet...get there early and stay all day... get our money's worth.:D

Too make this really work we'd have to find a place that offers a buffett with a BYOB policy, that lets people play the uke too, that would make everyone happy. Pretty eclectic standards, but I think theres a place in Brooklyn that could handle it. Shall we investigate more seriously? Has Adellethegreat seen this forum? ADELLE!!!

Top Bottom