String recommendations for a Makala Tenor

Fulhamjim

Reaction score
afternoon all,

I'm about to restring my Makala tenor to a low G, can anyone help withv which strings I should go for ?

Jim

No, but please post a sound sample when you have restrung it, it looks like this is going to be my next uke, and I would love to hear it.

cheers for the tips, will post before and after sound samples if I can work out how to do it!

Usually can't go wrong with Aquillas.
I have become more impressed with Orcas (high & low g) as I try them on different ukuleles.
A little easier to find than Worth Browns with a very similar sound and feel.

There's two types of Aquilas;regular and the nylgut. I tried the Nylgut and took them off pretty quickly. I didn't like the stiffness. I went back to the regular. The low G on Aquilas doesn't last that long. I just changed my low G Aquila string with a Hilo low G. It sounds good. Now to see if it lasts longer than the Aquila Low g.

I'd say Aquilas. I had them on my MK-T... ridiculous sustain.

For Makala ukes use aquila strings, they produce the best sound on a laminate ukulele.

just for future reference, this aquilas are certainly do NOT produce the best sound on a laminate. A cheap laminate then perhaps maybe but anything above about $120 should be experimented on. I have worth browns instead of the usual aquilas on my laminate luna tattoo and it has such better sustain and a sweeter tone. I wouldn't recommend them on a cheaper uke since the low end ukes are usually quiet, and worths arent loud like aquilas. The aquilas just make them louder and have more sustain than the cheap nylon brand GHS that's on a couple cheap ukes.

just for future reference, this aquilas are certainly do NOT produce the best sound on a laminate. A cheap laminate then perhaps maybe but anything above about $120 should be experimented on. I have worth browns instead of the usual aquilas on my laminate luna tattoo and it has such better sustain and a sweeter tone. I wouldn't recommend them on a cheaper uke since the low end ukes are usually quiet, and worths arent loud like aquilas. The aquilas just make them louder and have more sustain than the cheap nylon brand GHS that's on a couple cheap ukes.

For whose future reference????? Heck, ukulele strings are a lot like ice cream...try many flavors then you will know which is your favorite. There is no "right or wrong" on strings. It is all up the the sound preference of the person playing!

For whose future reference????? Heck, ukulele strings are a lot like ice cream...try many flavors then you will know which is your favorite. There is no "right or wrong" on strings. It is all up the the sound preference of the person playing!

hehe, when i was writing this i was thinking about other beginners who might stumble upon this thread :3

Has anyone used D'Addario J71 Tenor Ukulele Strings on the Makala MK-T? If so, what did you think?

I haven't used them on my makala but i did use them on my monkey pod tenor and it turned out great.

Top Bottom