PDA

View Full Version : best ukulele book of tunes

ukulelela
12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I know this may be something everyone asks but I am looking for a Ukulele book for my wife. She just bought a decent ukulele, she is also a classically trained marimba player so basic music issues are not an issue. But something to the point, with chord shapes and songs. Any ideas anyone?

Petr

Olarte
12-08-2011, 08:42 AM
If you are looking to purchase try Jumpin Jim's 365 songs for ukulele.

itsme
12-08-2011, 08:46 AM
If you are looking to purchase try Jumpin Jim's 365 songs for ukulele.
AKA "The Daily Ukulele."

It's a good mix of pop, folk, standards, oldies, kids, holiday, etc. You can access a list of the tunes here:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=258

cb56
12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah the Daily Uke has pretty much become a "Uke Jam" staple.

sukie
12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
True that.

sugengshi
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM

I've gotta get a copy myself. :D

Olarte
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I just wish there was a PDF or kindle edition of the "Daily Uke", it would be easier to use on a tablet, or print particular songs for one's personal music folder...

kaizersoza
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I just wish there was a PDF or kindle edition of the "Daily Uke", it would be easier to use on a tablet, or print particular songs for one's personal music folder...

now that would be a very good idea

ckellogg
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM

You read my mind. If I had the patience I'd take a picture of the pages and download it on my ipad. But I can spend that time playing instead.

itsme
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
A PDF version would probably cost you way more in ink/paper to print it than just buying the original printed version. :)

It's a big volume (over 300 pages), well worth the price IMO. If I want particular songs for one of my personal music folders, I can always copy the pages out of the book. Since I already bought and paid for the book, I don't see any issue with photocopying a few pages out of it for the convenience factor for my own personal use. They already made their profit off me and I'm not distributing it to anyone else.

sugengshi
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
A PDF version would probably cost you way more in ink/paper to print it than just buying the original printed version. :)

It's a big volume (over 300 pages), well worth the price IMO. If I want particular songs for one of my personal music folders, I can always copy the pages out of the book. Since I already bought and paid for the book, I don't see any issue with photocopying a few pages out of it for the convenience factor for my own personal use. They already made their profit off me and I'm not distributing it to anyone else.

Personally, I would prefer PDF and just print out the pages for particular songs that I like to learn and pay. :D

Drew Bear
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm afraid the music publishing industry is stubbornly holding on to the ancient way of doing business. They're slowly making changes and hopefully will survive the transition better than the newspapers & magazines have.

There is a free iPad app called Sheet Music Direct that allows you to purchase digital versions of sheet music already in print. They have a limited selection of 247 ukulele tabs, each costs $1.99. That's a fair price considering you get one-touch page turns (hands-free if you get a bluetooth pedal), built-in metronome, tuner and often the ability to transpose. I'm tempted to buy one just to see how that last bit works.

FYI, the printed "Daily Uke" is $23 shipped from Amazon.

ukuhippo
12-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Personally, I would prefer PDF and just print out the pages for particular songs that I like to learn and pay. :D

That's the way I'm going. I search for song and tutorials, and when I like them I print them out, crerating my own book which is getting bigger and bigger. My own personal 'best uke book'.

Ukulele JJ
12-09-2011, 02:02 AM
FYI, the printed "Daily Uke" is $23 shipped from Amazon.

And if you pick up an extra something to get it over $25 (like a Stark tuner, or some strings), shipping is free.

It's a good deal on a handy and fun book. I highly recommend it.

JJ

australe
12-10-2011, 03:18 AM
I just got my The Daily Ukulele and there are a ton of great songs in it! 365 to be exact :p
I really like how it has the required chord diagrams at the top of every song too... the only thing that could improve on this book for me is if they also had tablature for fingerpicking included with each song. And maybe some strumming patterns for us newbies who don't know enough to know which strumming pattern works best for different songs.

manapualabs
12-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Best `ukulele book of tunes:

He Mele Aloha
Carol Wilcox, Kimo Hussey, Aunty Vicky Hollinger and Puakea Nogelmeier
ISBN 0-9742564-0-4
Chords and lyrics to 260 songs

Everyone I know (that plays `ukulele) has this book. Fantastic resource for Hawaiian and Hapa-Haole songs.

ksiegel
12-10-2011, 04:11 AM
The page would be way too small for me to see on a tablet - I have a hard enough time reading it on a 23" monitor.

I too bought the book, and if I want a PDF copy of a song, I scan it and save as PDF. It's still too small to read on the computer (or tablet), and see the entire page, but I can print it out as I need it.

I can also print out an easily readable copy on my 13" x 19" wide carriage printer, or two pages side by side on a single sheet.

-Kurt

Kanaka916
12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
There are a number of songbooks (download-able in PDF) located in UU's Ukulele Resources thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?15464-Ukulele-Resources-%28Updated%29) . . . My favorite ones are the UCSC Songbook and TUSC - good variety of songs. Just print out the ones you want. Another popular one amongst UU members is Richard Gs Ukulele Songbook (http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/). Download and print the ones you want.

Uke Whisperer
12-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Another vote for "The Daily Ukulele".
Of course, George Formby song books are always on my list of favorites.

bigchiz
12-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Got the Daily Uke book for my daughter's birthday in early November. I really enjoy it, especially when she is busy using my laptop computer. :D

ukuleledaveey
12-21-2011, 02:44 AM
yep have to agree the daily uke is a fantastic book i to highly recommend it :)

dahni
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
About a year ago I took stock and found that I had 6 notebooks of songs and music for the uke and couldn't carry them all when I played out, and couldn't find what I wanted even with lists taped to each notebook. So, I was given an old laptop that didn't work. I fixed it up, except for the battery, and downloaded my songs into it. I had to carry the power converter, and an extension cord, which was a pain with people walking around. I could then access any of my songs pretty quickly. But, with over 500 songs even that became a chore, so when I knew what songs I needed I copied them onto a flash drive and just downloaded that.

I have a large collection of songs, music and music videos on my desktop. Last week my wife gave me a present of a tablet. At this time I have a copy of the songs in The Daily Ukulele. I also have a uke group that uses it almost exclusively. I'm making up a new file for the Daily Ukulele song titles, and preparing a flash drive to use with it. As I review TDU songs I can make sure they are in the key of C or G because most of the Ukers play those keys. I can transpose as needed later. The next uke meeting is Th. ,today is Tues. I'll just copy the songs to the flash drive, and carry it and my new tablet to the next meeting.

I have to carry my music stand anyway, and the tablet is about the same size as a regular but thin book. Now I can carry with me as much music as I can possibly use, and also carry some appropriate audios and videos for the times we have a song that no one knows very well.

You can get a 7" tablet for less than $80. You can download most songs free from the internet; and youtube has a huge number of videos you can copy for free. I recommend a 10" tablet (about $150 or less) so you can read the music more readily.

Shastastan
11-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Good Suggestions, Dahni. We have a 356gb ASUS netbook that we use for our backup songs for gigs. I just bought a usb cable that makes it easy to transfer files from one pc to another including the netbook. The netbook is just slightly larger than a tablet. Cost was $275 at Best Buy a couple of years ago. I can use a manhasset stand for it on the gig, too, when they have one there.

quiltingshirley
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
When Amazon started carrying "The Daily Uke" book they offered it in digital format for the Kindle Fire. I found it too big to use with the Fire as I had to constantly keep scrolling. (I returned it to Amazon for the book). Would that work on an I Pad type tablet? Jusr an idea. It seems like it would take forever to scan all those pages into PDF. It is difficult to carry around binders and then try to locate which binder or book the song you want to play is in.

Normagal
11-29-2012, 01:59 AM
I downloaded a sample Kindle version for my IPad. I'm not finding it easy to fit the songs on the screen. If I decide I want the book, I'll get the paper version.

Lideruke
11-29-2012, 02:57 AM
I've found Daily Ukulele is good for songs from 20s thru the 60s. For more modern stuff, I really like the Ukulele Playlist series of books. They're a little pricey, even on ebay, but they're pretty good.