Some opinion: Kanilea tenor K-1 with Worth Clear hard tension?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi friends,
Has anyone put Worth Clear Hard tension strings on tenor Kanilea K-1 Sound Monster?
I always use Worth Clear ligh tension, and the resonance of the wood is amazing, but I feel the sound without a good bright compared to my other koa tenors.
The Kanilea T.R.U. bracing system works well with high-tension strings?

I do not know if it affects, but mine has satin finish.

I have a Koaloha tenor, and I put Worth clear hard tension on and didn't like them, they felt hard, duh. I went back to a lighter string, currently have Southcoast light on it. I am a big fan of Worth strings and have the browns on my concert, just didn't like the feel. . couldn't hurt to try. that's the only way to truly know. hope that helps.

While not on a Kanile'a I tried Worth CT-LGHD on my Kala acacia tenor last week. Had them on for about an hour. Just too hard for my comfort. For picking it was nice but hard on the fingers when strumming. I went back to CT-LG and prefer those.

How easy is it to get Worth strings in Brazil?

While not on a Kanile'a I tried Worth CT-LGHD on my Kala acacia tenor last week. Had them on for about an hour. Just too hard for my comfort. For picking it was nice but hard on the fingers when strumming. I went back to CT-LG and prefer those.

How easy is it to get Worth strings in Brazil?

I bought directly from the Worth factory on Asia by email and paid by paypal. No problems, very easy, 3 weeks to arrives.

I have a K! with Southcoast Heavy's(high tension) and it is better than amazing. Very full and complex sound with plenty of volume. Worth's are about 90% as good as Southcoasts in my opinion so I am sure the worth high tension will be great.

Had Worth Mediums on my Kanile'a concert for a long while, then went Southcoast Mediums and love them. Also, if you are looking at low g options for the tenor, nonwound, consider the linear set from Southcoast. You will need to tune up to D, but it is amazing and there is no 4th string "boom" so often mentioned by others in their low g sets.

I put the worth clear hard tension strings on my kanilea K1 yesterday. It fits the correct tension today. Perfect! Great bright and low tones, playability, and tone wood maintaned.

I put the worth clear hard tension strings on my kanilea K1 yesterday. It fits the correct tension today. Perfect! Great bright and low tones, playability, and tone wood maintaned.

Great. Good choice!

I have Worth Hard Clears (low G) on my Kanile'a concert. Tried several other strings (Aquila, Worth med, D'Addario) and found I liked Worth Hard Clears the best by far on this particular uke. However, I wonder how some SouthCoast Heavy strings would sound on it.

I got a set of Southcoast linear classic metal, but the bead ends don't work with the pin bridge. I don't know, I guess Kanilea did something different than a how a standard pin bridge guitar is? But the ends just can't grab hold like they're supposed to, making them unstringable. You could add beads yourself, but if you did that, you have a chicken-egg problem of how to feed it through.

I really really really was looking forward to those, but I guess it's high g only if I want to try those. Any other bridge should work fine though. Who knew?

edit - so right now, since I hate wound strings with a seething burning passion, I have to trade off to a bit of boominess with the Worth CT LG. When I take it back to high g, the options open back up.

I have a Kanile'a concert, UV gloss and here is the"string" history I've gone through with this uke.

Came with Aquila high-g Nylguts. Replaced with Aquila's low-g set, but didn't like the wound low-g.

Changed to Worth Clear low-g. Result: The low-g sounded terrible (intonation way off, flat as a fart) because, supposedly, it didn't sit correctly in the nut g-string slot. Had the slot filed wider/deeper to accept the thicker un-wound low g. Result: still sounded crappy.
Changed to Worth's Medium low-g: Result: still sounded crappy.
Changed to Worth's Hard low-g: Result: STILL sounded crappy with intonation still off and flat sounding.

Got a new nut from Joe (Souza), had a different luthier replace the nut and file it to accommodate both a thick un-wound low-g and a high-g. Result: the Worth hard low-g sounded slightly better, but not by much.

Solution: went back to the Aquila Nylguts with wound low-g.

I guess Joe knew which strings sounded best on this instrument....

I wouldn't say it's like a fart on my superconcert, but I will say less is more when hitting that string. It's a great uke that sounds great with a good string. It's just that if hate wound strings, and want low g, it's an issue whatever uke you have.

I wouldn't say it's like a fart on my superconcert, but I will say less is more when hitting that string. It's a great uke that sounds great with a good string. It's just that if hate wound strings, and want low g, it's an issue whatever uke you have.

Maybe neck length plays a role here. I have the Worth Hard low-g on my longneck/super concert and it sounds great which is why I was surprised this wasn't the case with the concert.

I'm now curious about the Southcoast strings.

Top Bottom