Finally my Christmas Uke is on it's way, Spruce top anyone?

Leodhas

Reaction score
I started a post roughly a month ago about spruce tops as I was intrigued and wanted peoples views on said ukuleles. Anyway the long and short of it was that I decided to go ahead and treat myself for Christmas. I know it sounds sad buying yourself a Christmas present but as of 2 months ago I am newly single again (although I maintain it wasn't my fault this time) and no other numpty will get me anything so hello, I'm Santa Claus.

Nevertheless, the uke I chose to go for was the standard Kala KA-ST, but no! You see, for the last 3 weeks I've tried without any luck to purchase one of these ukes by calling numerous musical instrument off and on-line stores throughout the four countries off the western edge of Europe with no luck. Well today I finally managed to secure one of these wee rascals!

Now, this may not sound anything special to our American friends but considering I couldn't find one in the whole of Scotland, Ireland, england or wales until today as, from my information a few came in on a shipment this morning, I've not done too badly. So I'm fair happy. Just hope the uke is braw sounding.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome :) I love my spruce top.

Congrats. I have the same model I think although mine is a cutaway. it's got a nice bright sound.

Enjoy it and Merry Christmas!

Congrats! I hear good things about those Ukes!!

And have a great Christmas!

I will let you look at my spruce top until yours gets here :) Then .. you show me yours!
310391_265811063443829_178196065538663_956828_1045011005_n.jpg

I will let you look at my spruce top until yours gets here :) Then .. you show me yours!
310391_265811063443829_178196065538663_956828_1045011005_n.jpg

oooooooo, lookes nice! I'll have to hear one.

I've had a Kala KA-SC which is the concert version of what you've ordered, for more than a year and I'm very happy with it's sound and playability. I know you'll be happy too.

Cheers folks, I'm just really curious as to what the spruce will sound like, I know people say they have good volume but that's not really all that important to me as long as it's interesting sounding. I think my next purchase will be a Solid Koa uke but I'll wait until my birthday for that (March, so not too long off) and will probably go with kala again as I've never gone wrong with them.

As the spruce itself can be a wee bit of a boring wood (For me) looks wise, I may go for my first sticker on a uke. I usually am very anti-stickers on musical instruments and would never put one on any of my guitars but I may go for it on this uke. Nevertheless it will have to be something a wee bit cool or I might just opt for a good old trusted round Scotland flag Decal with 'UKE' or 'ALBA' across the middle. Alba means Scotland for the none Scots and
Irish out there.

Anyway just thinking aloud, and once again cheers for the feedback.

PS, when I said spruce 'can be' a we bit boring I wasn't talking about Susie A's uke as that looks like a gorgeous finish on the wood. What uke is that?

PPS. Should have it next week and will post some pics and a sound sample for those interested.

My Kala KA-SC was my gateway drug into spruce tops. It's always the first one I hand to uke-curious visitors to get them hooked :)

Cheers folks, I'm just really curious as to what the spruce will sound like, I know people say they have good volume but that's not really all that important to me as long as it's interesting sounding. I think my next purchase will be a Solid Koa uke but I'll wait until my birthday for that (March, so not too long off) and will probably go with kala again as I've never gone wrong with them.

As the spruce itself can be a wee bit of a boring wood (For me) looks wise, I may go for my first sticker on a uke. I usually am very anti-stickers on musical instruments and would never put one on any of my guitars but I may go for it on this uke. Nevertheless it will have to be something a wee bit cool or I might just opt for a good old trusted round Scotland flag Decal with 'UKE' or 'ALBA' across the middle. Alba means Scotland for the none Scots and
Irish out there.

Anyway just thinking aloud, and once again cheers for the feedback.

PS, when I said spruce 'can be' a we bit boring I wasn't talking about Susie A's uke as that looks like a gorgeous finish on the wood. What uke is that?

PPS. Should have it next week and will post some pics and a sound sample for those interested.

Mine is a Sailor Uke, bought from Mike @ UkeRepublic. The back is beautimous too. If I had a decent mic I would record a sound sample for you. This thing has volume but it also has great sustain, really made for fingerpicking. Here is the back of this one. Sorry for the giant pics. I don't know how to make them smaller.

298962_281675558524046_178196065538663_1016708_2105453574_n.jpg

Top Bottom