I sent my down payment for a custom Devine ukulele

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
It will take some time, over a year waiting time - I'm ok with that because I'm still learning to play and I have assessed that ukulele is not a passing fad with me.

I spent roughly 2 weeks working with Eric on the design by email. My impression is he would have taken as long as it took to make me happy but still play to his strengths on building the uke.

My decision to go custom is because I wanted something special to play and something that would be worthy of handing down to my son at some time. This proud father foresees a young boy who will catch my same ukulele affliction. We'll see.

Hopefully during the process Eric will share some of the pictures like we've been treated to other builds. I enjoy those.

I'll get the specs up once I return from eating breakfast and playing some morning uke on the Collings.

I am very excited that one day I'll have a Devine uke.

I am planning to go to the Thailand Ukulele Festival and found out Eric Devine will be there with a sample uke so that would be great to try a Devine and meet the luthier.

Congratulations on a major commitment! I think the long gestation period is actually a positive part of the whole experience. The anticipation and painstaking process adds to the value of what will clearly become an heirloom musical instrument.

It will take some time, over a year waiting time - I'm ok with that because I'm still learning to play and I have assessed that ukulele is not a passing fad with me.

I spent roughly 2 weeks working with Eric on the design by email. My impression is he would have taken as long as it took to make me happy but still play to his strengths on building the uke.

My decision to go custom is because I wanted something special to play and something that would be worthy of handing down to my son at some time. This proud father foresees a young boy who will catch my same ukulele affliction. We'll see.
Aloha Frank,
Wow Congratulations..Holy smokes..you planning to buy a bigger house to house all these expensive ukes and 24 hour security... disposable income eh....send me your rejects...hee hee

guess you won't be needing that custom Collings with the red shaded top no more, eh Frank...let me know he he You could start up a second hand uke business for awhile Bruddah...I'd be an interested customer mate, or at least an annoying tyre kicker!

congratulations on your choice on the DeVine...I've heard they're pretty Divine too :)

mmstan and Eugene always build up nice uke collections. I'm the guy picking up the scraps. Which reminds me - I got to get busy on the Howlett. Anyways...

Here's the specs. I'll put up a picture of the inlay examples.

Muse Tenor Ukulele

Soundhole
Round Soundhole

Back and Sides
Mastergrade Curly Koa

Engelmann Spruce

Fretboard Material
Ebony

Wood Binding for Body and Fretboard
Curly White Koa

Purfling for Body's Top
Abalone Shell

Headstock Logo and Fretboard Markers
Abalone

Fretboard Inlay
Signature DeVine Fretboard Inlay
Neck
Mahogany

Comments
Calvan and hobbes inlay on the lower bout

I think I read Eric regards the Koa as the wood that makes a uke a ukulele so I got the Koa but I like the spruce on my collings so I wanted to sstay with a spruce top because I also like the difference in texture and color a koa/spruce will have.

Picture(s) example(s) coming

I think I read Eric regards the Koa as the wood that makes a uke a ukulele so I got the Koa but I like the spruce on my collings so I wanted to sstay with a spruce top because I also like the difference in texture and color a koa/spruce will have.

Picture(s) example(s) comingcalvin and hobbes 2.jpgdevine uke calvin options.jpg

I saw one of his ukes somebody put a "mighty mouse" so I thought I'd add the Calvin and Hobbes as its my favorite comic and represents how I think growing up as a boy should be.

We chose the lower bout for the location after reviewing my strumming and how the movement on the inlay will look best.

I had a hard time letting go of my idea to use snakewood as the fretboard; but, I gave in because I want it also to be as much about the signature Devine look as well.

We discussed options on side fretmarkers and perhaps another inlay on the back that ties myself, my son and my wife into the uke.

And I asked Eric if there was anything he wanted to try , he could ask to incorporate, we could review that too. That type of suspense will be interesting too. but if you spend that much cash, you want to go with tried and true.

I totally approve of the C&H inlay, love those comics! Wow, it sounds like it'll be a beauty! I'm still saving for my custom, should be able to start a thread like this in the new year myself :D

Sounds like you're investing in your son's and his future children/grandchildren's musical future too! Good for you! I plan to do the same with my custom, pass on to any kids I have and if I don't, pass on to Miss D to carry on as part of me!

Congrats :D

mmstan and Eugene always build up nice uke collections. I'm the guy picking up the scraps. Which reminds me - I got to get busy on the Howlett. Anyways...

Muse Tenor Ukulele

Soundhole
Round Soundhole

Back and Sides
Mastergrade Curly Koa

Engelmann Spruce

Fretboard Material
Ebony

Wood Binding for Body and Fretboard
Curly White Koa

Purfling for Body's Top
Abalone Shell

Headstock Logo and Fretboard Markers
Abalone

Fretboard Inlay
Signature DeVine Fretboard Inlay
Neck
Mahogany

Hey Frankie,
Some Scraps ha ha....send them my way....no wonder you got some doggies for security...

Muse Tenor Ukulele

Excellent! Congrats! It would be great if you could post build progress pics. When will Eric start the instrument?

What made you decide on Muse tenor instead of the Kasha tenor?

(I'll bet it was the Kimo Hussey videos of him playing a Muse tenor.)

Man I'd love to play one of Eric's ukes.

Top Bottom