does playing the uke ruin your nails and fingers?

raecarter

Reaction score
I have an issue due to the way I strum the uke towards the end of the frets. My finger nails are starting to get white patches on them and my fingers become sore playing. I have tried playing elsewhere with my strumming hand but it doesn't feel natural?

I don't think playing the uke ruins your nails and fingers, but they will definitely take a beating. It's opposite for me though, because my strumming hand is completely fine. It's my fretting hand that takes most of the beating.

I don't think playing the uke ruins your nails and fingers, but they will definitely take a beating. It's opposite for me though, because my strumming hand is completely fine. It's my fretting hand that takes most of the beating.

I think im going to have to address the problem though. When I do gigs and im playing for a while they begin to really hurt. I've bought some hard as nails clear nail varnish after googling the issue. Do you think vitamins tablets that make your nails stronger are a possibility to help?

I think im going to have to address the problem though. When I do gigs and im playing for a while they begin to really hurt. I've bought some hard as nails clear nail varnish after googling the issue. Do you think vitamins tablets that make your nails stronger are a possibility to help?
My dermatologist suggested Biotin. She said it was good for hair and nails. I'd tell you how it works, but I forget to take them.

My dermatologist suggested Biotin. She said it was good for hair and nails. I'd tell you how it works, but I forget to take them.

Haha what is biotin? So.im assuming im not alone in this problem

There's always Jello!

When I play a lot I get a groove worn on my index fingernail! Cost of much playing/strumming.

I suppose those who do a lot of picking have different 'issues'.

keep uke'in',

I googled biotin I'll get some. I use my index and middle finger up and down but over the fret board so I get marks from hitting the frets and my fingers generally hitting the edge of the fret board

I play banjo, tiple, and uke, and I've never noticed any problems with damage on my fingers/fingernails. I have noticed that I get some arthritic-like pains after playing for an extended period of time, however.

I play banjo, tiple, and uke, and I've never noticed any problems with damage on my fingers/fingernails. I have noticed that I get some arthritic-like pains after playing for an extended period of time, however.

Ah that's not good is it

For me it's working on airplanes! That and arthritis and a bit of carpal tunnel thrown in for good measure. My ukes might contribute more if I could ever find enough time to play them regularly!

i don't know about ruin your nails and fingers it certainly makes them stronger

My nails are already ruined anyway, growing all wonky etc., so... I don't know if I left my fingers between a door too many times as a kid or is this just genetic but regardless what I do (and granted, I don't do much about it), I have weird fingernails. I don't use a pick so it definitely has an effect on how my playing sounds like (sometimes I have to cut the nails short on my strumming hand; they're always short on the left hand) but I haven't found a good enough alternative. Sometimes I use finger picks when I play the guitar but they're not good enough and I cannot use them with my ukes. If someone could come up with finger picks that are worn like rings and on top of your own nails, then I'd be really happy (and no, banjo picks don't really solve the problem). That, or some way to straighten and strengthen my own nails. I do already eat my vitamins and I haven't noticed any change in them.

Last edited:
My nails are already ruined anyway, growing all wonky etc., so... I don't know if I left my fingers between a door too many times as a kid or is this just genetic but regardless what I do (and granted, I don't do much about it), I have weird fingernails. I don't use a pick so it definitely has an effect on how my playing sounds like (sometimes I have to cut the nails short on my strumming hand; they're always short on the left hand) but I haven't found a good enough alternative. Sometimes I use finger picks when I play the guitar but they're not good enough and I cannot use them with my ukes. If someone could come up with finger picks that are worn like rings and on top of your own nails, then I'd be really happy (and no, banjo picks don't really solve the problem). That, or some way to straighten and strengthen my own nails. I do already eat my vitamins and I haven't noticed any change in them.

You should get to inventing. It might even be possible to modify banjo picks accordingly, as they tend to be bendable.

If I knew what gave my own nails the strength and consistency of tempered steel, I would tell you. I have to keep them relatively short so I won't inadvertently slice open my own flesh. They've always been like this, so I don't think it's anything I eat.

Send your Ukule's to me for evaluation.

I have an issue due to the way I strum the uke towards the end of the frets. My finger nails are starting to get white patches on them and my fingers become sore playing. I have tried playing elsewhere with my strumming hand but it doesn't feel natural?

;) There may be some problem with your Uke's.
I am the only "finger buster" with documented qualifications to properly assess your insturments
for the specific flaws and infestations that are definately known to cause this issue.

Please send your ukulele's to me immediately, for evaluation and diagnosis.
Delay may allow the polyestermites to also contaminate other wooden devices in your home.
Imagine if they get loose in the chairs you sit in!
The pain will not be in your fingers.

I have the necessary equipment to eliminate and rid the world of this plague. :eek:

:smileybounce: :cheers:

;) There may be some problem with your Uke's.
I am the only "finger buster" with documented qualifications to properly assess your insturments
for the specific flaws and infestations that are definately known to cause this issue.

Please send your ukulele's to me immediately, for evaluation and diagnosis.
Delay may allow the polyestermites to also contaminate other wooden devices in your home.
Imagine if they get loose in the chairs you sit in!
The pain will not be in your fingers.

I have the necessary equipment to eliminate and rid the world of this plague. :eek:

:smileybounce: :cheers:

Haha brilliant

I tried to grow the nails out a little on my right hand for finger picking, but I literally wear through my index finger nail when I am strumming. I tried a few times, but it starts to get worn/cracked, so I just keep my nails short.

I would pretty much echo what others have said. I would first think about lifting action at the bridge to get the strings away from the frets some. As a guitarist, for many years I used fake nails applied with a little super glue. Also a coat of super glue on your nail could help.

Top Bottom