New Uke Day for My Students at the Homeless Shelter

Maiyah888

Reaction score
Happy!

Today I gave 2 of the women who live at the homeless shelter their very own new Eddy Finn Minnow ukuleles b/c they completed their 4 lesson program with me.

It was so amazing to see their faces as they opened the boxes!

One named her blue uke Leroy. The other who got a black uke (she loves black) just cried a little and hugged me (she had had a very difficult day with intensive counseling).

I love my work!

Now I'm teaching 2 classes per month at the Shelter (if the women complete 4 lessons and show diligence and interest they get their own Eddy Finn Minnow -- right now I'm funding this myself) through co-sponsors the Academy of Music in Norfolk and Tidewater Arts Outreach.

And 2 classes per week at Park Place Child Life Center's Creativity Over Crime Homework Club also co-sponsored by the Academy of Music.

I'm so grateful to the ukulele for giving me a way to give back to my community! And happily the Academy has been given a matching grant -- if we raise $500,000, our donor will match it for a total of $1,000,000 to be our endowment so we will always have an income!

Will try to post the pic of me and my students later!

Happy!

Today I gave 2 of the women who live at the homeless shelter their very own new Eddy Finn Minnow ukuleles b/c they completed their 4 lesson program with me.

It was so amazing to see their faces as they opened the boxes!

One named her blue uke Leroy. The other who got a black uke (she loves black) just cried a little and hugged me (she had had a very difficult day with intensive counseling).

I love my work!

Now I'm teaching 2 classes per month at the Shelter (if the women complete 4 lessons and show diligence and interest they get their own Eddy Finn Minnow -- right now I'm funding this myself) through co-sponsors the Academy of Music in Norfolk and Tidewater Arts Outreach.

And 2 classes per week at Park Place Child Life Center's Creativity Over Crime Homework Club also co-sponsored by the Academy of Music.

I'm so grateful to the ukulele for giving me a way to give back to my community! And happily the Academy has been given a matching grant -- if we raise $500,000, our donor will match it for a total of $1,000,000 to be our endowment so we will always have an income!

Will try to post the pic of me and my students later!

Good job it is nice to be able to give things to others and change there lives.

This made me smile like nothing else today - thanks so much for sharing and doing what you do to bring joy to others!

Sounds wonderful! There really is nothing like the joy of making someone else even a little happy. Thanks for the great story!

Wow! That is wonderful work you are doing. I bet many of those people you have helped, will turn their lives around for the better.

Roberta

$500 bones- we can totally do that! Ever seen Kickstarter? Post the project, and throw it out all over the world (your current audience)- I am sure their are many of us that would wait another month for "the uke" to see one go into the hands of someone who has less than we do.
This made me smile ear to ear, restored my faith in humanity, and gave Christmas meaning again- Bless up and PM if you need help raising the money- I am in.

$500 bones- we can totally do that! Ever seen Kickstarter? Post the project, and throw it out all over the world (your current audience)- I am sure their are many of us that would wait another month for "the uke" to see one go into the hands of someone who has less than we do.
This made me smile ear to ear, restored my faith in humanity, and gave Christmas meaning again- Bless up and PM if you need help raising the money- I am in.

Oh TCK, how sweet of you!

I have a fundraising project in mind, which includes creating an FB Fan Page with a link-y to 2 songs that I've already written and recorded.

I will PM you!

Top Bottom