For all those afraid to sing

VengefulTikiGod

Reaction score
Sing! Learn to sing! Just do it! It's only a matter of some basic techniques and practice, it's not hard to improve. Don't be like me, who played guitar for 6 years before seriously making a point to sing. If you ever want to perform, or even have a decent jam session/singalong/serenade, you need to learn to sing and start memorizing lyrics to songs. Otherwise, also like me, you'll end up knowing a lot of songs but not all the lyrics. I came to the need-to-sing epiphany only recently and am now playing catch-up. It's like having practiced for years and then when someone wants to hear a song, you have nothing to show for it--and unless you're Jake Shimabukuro, let's face it, most audiences have little interest in or the attention span for instrumental music. So don't be like I was! Practice singing. Memorize the lyrics to songs you like. Have a set, or a list of ready-to-perform full songs that you can do. Record yourself doing your song, post it on a myspace page or a youtube video perhaps. Even just record it so you can listen to yourself and improve.

Does my story sound like yours? There's still hope. I started seriously singing only a few months ago, and now I have tons of songs with lyrics down, and have even written a few new tunes.

Like my old guitar teacher always said, "Nobody's ever gonna come up to you and say, 'hey man, can you strum the chords to my favorite song?'"

It's not that I'm scared to sing... it's that my singing might scare the people around me, especially small children or people with heart conditions!

hmm just do it! hahaha

and put it up on UU the UU family dont judge man! just give pointers or we ask for chords. HAAH! or tabs

good reassuring point. i might just do that. problem is, i don't want ears to bleed when people hear me sing. :(

A tip is to practice in front of a camera... listen and learn and then upload! haha.

but nah, I used to never sing in front of people but I started to pretend my camera was an audience and now I always sing in front of people! =] haha.

Just takes time and practice just like everything else. =]

I'm just the opposite. I don't video or record, but I do frequently sing in public. Whether it's a camera, recorder or a crowd, it's all the same. The best confidence builder is practice. The more you've practiced a song, the more confident you are to perform it on a "stage". Ric

As others have already said, singing takes practice. It is not a case of being able to sing or unable to sing it is a case of practicing your instrument, your voice. No one would expect to pick up a Uke for the first time and play it fluently, singing is the same. So long as you have a voice box and at least one lung you can learn to sing. Some people take to it more quickly than others, or may have a more pleasing tonality to their natural voice, but still, anyone can sing if they put in the effort.

i waited 2 years of playing guitar and 4 years of bass
before i finally sacked up and tried singing

since then (which was at the beginning of 2008) ive sang in 3 different bands, led a few worship services, and overall had an amazing time. i dont think my voice is anything special, but its something that i can still use.

I usually have a stiff drink and then belt out a few songs.

Jehovah' Witnesses can also be useful sounding boards,and maybe they will get extra divinity points for having to suffer the uku-crooning.Too bad they don't come by my place anymore,too much for them I guess,or maybe I'm a lost cause.:D

jehovah' Witnesses Can Also Be Useful Sounding Boards,and Maybe They Will Get Extra Divinity Points For Having To Suffer The Uku-crooning.too Bad They Don't Come By My Place Anymore,too Much For Them I Guess,or Maybe I'm A Lost Cause.:d

L O L !

Top Bottom