Airline To Heaven - Woody Guthrie/Wilco Cover

23skidoo

Reaction score
I took a quick shot at this tune for UKISOCIETY's Woody2012ukulele You Tube Channel, dedicated to the 100th birth anniversary of Woody Guthrie. The lyrics are Woody's, set to music by Jay Bennett and Jeff Tweedy of Wilco for one of their 'Mermaid Avenue' records.

It's a little rough around the edges, but I'm rationalizing that Mr. Guthrie would have appreciated the spontaneous authenticity.....

Enjoy!

really sweet recording Bill, the guitar and uke sounded lovely together and I liked the harmonies too...aren't those couple of Billy Bragg and Wilco tribute records brilliant, eh. Thanks for this mate

Thanks Camsuke, Tim & Jon, had a lot of fun doing this - glad y'all like it. I use to play this song a lot when that record first came out - and yep, Jon, they are out of sight, especially the first one. A couple of other tunes on there I used to play fairly regularly, might have to dust em off and uke em up.....

Listening to that song and that passage with the 2 chord clip
you only need a little imagination to see where Dylan got
his "hard rain is gonna fall". At the beginning of his career
Dylan was a champion for Guthrie and many of his "Talking Blues"
were no doubt based on "Talking dust bowl blues".

Excellent recording. Musicianship really shone through, but more
importantly the song had a message and you delivered it.
There is something magical when a musician somehow forgets
about the technical aspects of a performance and delivers something
from the heart. Him that has ears let him hear. I heard you.

Thank you, Robert. I'm not what you'd call a conventional person of faith by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a real affinity for traditional country gospel music - it's my favorite kind of music to play.

I love the Mermaid Avenue project. Well done sir! I'm inspired. I need to record a few of my favorites and add them to the channel.

Listening to that song and that passage with the 2 chord clip
you only need a little imagination to see where Dylan got
his "hard rain is gonna fall". At the beginning of his career
Dylan was a champion for Guthrie and many of his "Talking Blues"
were no doubt based on "Talking dust bowl blues".

Excellent recording. Musicianship really shone through, but more
importantly the song had a message and you delivered it.
There is something magical when a musician somehow forgets
about the technical aspects of a performance and delivers something
from the heart. Him that has ears let him hear. I heard you.

I am reminded of a Ravi Shankar quote, "The magic in music happens only when the artist serves it with love and joy and the listener receives it with the same spirit."

I am reminded of a Ravi Shankar quote, "The magic in music happens only when the artist serves it with love and joy and the listener receives it with the same spirit."

That is a great quote. Sometimes a musician can play their hearts out,
but does not connect with the audience. A certain expectancy has to exist
on both sides.

Excellent! I need to check those records out.
I like Wilco/Son Volt best when they put their twist on the old Trad stuff.

Saw that on the FB page a earlier . Nice work and truly an inspiration to see dedicated skill at work . Thanks Skidoo .

Excellent! I need to check those records out.
I like Wilco/Son Volt best when they put their twist on the old Trad stuff.

Slim - this tune is from the second record, but start with the first - not a bad tune on it and the Billy Bragg stuff is just as good as the cuts by Wilco. I've always dug Wilco and they just keep getting better, IMHO.... their last couple of albums have been the best, I think....

Slim - this tune is from the second record, but start with the first - not a bad tune on it and the Billy Bragg stuff is just as good as the cuts by Wilco. I've always dug Wilco and they just keep getting better, IMHO.... their last couple of albums have been the best, I think....
I pretty much agree Bill, though Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are still right up there for me I reckon

I pretty much agree Bill, though Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are still right up there for me I reckon

Yep..... 'Sky Blue Sky' does it for me.... a rock'n'roll record doesn't need to get much better than that, as far as I'm concerned....

I had some driving to do today and took both Mermaid Avenue discs with me. Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key, Eisler on the Go, Blood of the Lamb and Black Wind Blowing are some of my favorites.

Aloha Bill,
Sweet man...your voice and playing..had to watch it twice..awesome dude..thanks for sharing..woo hoo

Top Bottom