"Hobo's Lullaby"

H

Hippie Dribble

1934. Goebel Reeves.

Though originally written by Reeves, this song has become more closely identified with the great Woody Guthrie, who recorded it himself in 1944 during the famous sessions with Moses Asch, founder of Folkways.

This song certainly has a special meaning to me, I even called my ebay site, "hoboslullabies"! I have always felt a close affinity to Woody Guthrie, and also to his roaming compadre of the age, Pete Seeger. I kind of sit somewhere in between my two heroes; darker than Pete, lighter than Woody. Anyway, enough self indulgence...

A man of deep contradictions, Woody has become many things to many people, but his romantic idealism has always been there...we see it in his children's songs, his incisive wit and biting satire, and it echoes like a refrain through all the stories one reads of his life. This is what he wrote about hobos:

"A hobo's life moves swiftly, broadly, talking and moving in terms of states, countries, seasons; instead of the narrow, suffocating life of City Living so hemmed in on every side...Friendless, and alone he dwells among us, drifting like a tumbleweed across the earth...seeking a freedom that you have only dimly felt at times."

Apparently, this was Woody's favorite song. Hope you enjoy my take on it, and my tribute to him. In keeping with the era, I played it on a vintage 1930's regal soprano ukulele. Thanks for watching. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOt7VoxXGOk

oops...I think that's the 3rd time in a row I've done that. sorry guys, fixed now :eek:

Beautiful video, Jon..... you're videos are really looking as good as they sound lately....... great tune - I'm looking forward to all the Woody covers coming out of the woodwork.....

prefect tempo and tone...from both the uke and you...woo hoo...every time it gets even better...you keep topping the previous one...

Beautiful video, Jon..... you're videos are really looking as good as they sound lately....... great tune - I'm looking forward to all the Woody covers coming out of the woodwork.....
thanks Bill...just started tilting the camera on it's end and cheers mate, this one looked nice with the light outside, the reflection and the clours all melding in a sweet way...I was happy with how this shot looked too. Blessings brother, loved your latest 'airline to heaven' too...

prefect tempo and tone...from both the uke and you...woo hoo...every time it gets even better...you keep topping the previous one...
very kind thing to say Bruddah, thanks :)

thanks Bill...just started tilting the camera on it's end and cheers mate, this one looked nice with the light outside, the reflection and the clours all melding in a sweet way...I was happy with how this shot looked too. Blessings brother, loved your latest 'airline to heaven' too...

Yes the reflection on the table really makes the shot...if you polish it to a mirror finish, but it is an excellent idea and shot.... wow wee really caught my eye and forgot to mention it...too

thanks Sebastien, Gavin and Stan. Much appreciated fellas. :)

Top Bottom