kanile'a islander

hokumele

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if the kanile'a islander has the same bracing as the other kanile'a models. I really like their bracing because it allows you to feel the music instead of just hearing it.
thanks

No it dose not I played one today and the bracing is different it doesn't have the tru bracing.
But out of the overseas made ukuleles I'v played I would rank it right below a Pono . Thats just my:2cents:

Aloha No they do not have the same bracing but quality control is outstanding on these ukes. In fact Joe and Kristin had me help and assist as Kanilea opened every ukulele up for inspection and minor adjustments before shipment to dealers. The amount of rejects as quality per lot for imports as compared to some brands I have also done these preinspections for was the best i have seen...

I have a concert Islander laminate. It does not have the same bracing a s regular Kanile'a, but neither would I expect it for the price. To tell the truth, these ukes sound really great because of good fundamental design, excellent workmanship, and good materials. It is the best sounding laminate that I have ever heard.I have a low G bronze wound string on it, and it is full, rich, and well balanced all the way up the neck. A lot of small things done well will overcome a major thing done mediocre. Great uke!

Just happened to be passing Kanileas factory and saw the door open today Sunday and here's what I found...the Kanileas clan...the Souza's checking and inspecting islanders
photobucket-4164-1323632515848.jpg

Since the islander mt 4's are flying out the door picked up a few more cases....special delivery by Joe to my car
photobucket-3713-1323632561005.jpg
e

I've been thinking about an Islander solid tenor for a while. They look great (maybe not the logo..) and now I see that they get checked out individually before leaving home... where's the catch?

Just happened to be passing Kanileas factory...
Mike, you're a fortunate man to live where you do, doing what you do. Thanks for the behind-the-scenes looks. I really love it that some of the big names of the ukulele world are essentially small family businesses.

I've been thinking about an Islander solid tenor for a while. They look great (maybe not the logo..) and now I see that they get checked out individually before leaving home... where's the catch?

No catch...Just made overseas where all the other cheap (not really but you know what I mean) ukes come from.

No catch Its just that Joe and Kristin really care when it has their name attached to it. like i did with setup of cheaper ukes they take care to see that you get a good quality price for value of their import line...l. No other way to control it unless you look over each one....By the way I think the islander laminate will be the new go to ukulele in the kala ka t lanikai lu21t range of pricepoint The sound just outclasses theirs I think i will do a blinbd sound survey when the christmas rush allows me to. The phone ringhs constantly all day at work with questions and orders so it is hard to get down time to do a sample

No catch Its just that Joe and Kristin really care when it has their name attached to it. like i did with setup of cheaper ukes they take care to see that you get a good quality price for value of their import line...I think the islander laminate will be the new go to ukulele in the kala ka t lanikai lu21t range of pricepoint.
It's for these very reasons I just placed an order for an MT-4 with HMS. If I'm not mistaken, you helped train Joel, the HMS setup guy? Since I'm already in the Kanile'a family with a K-1, I decided to pick this up for my low G Tenor.

Top Bottom