The Next Breakthrough???

mendel

Reaction score
A while ago, around TurkeyDay, i began to solo around the fretboard a bit. I find myself primarily using the A string, and I am doing it by ear as opposed to learning it formally. I am having fn but I would like to learn to incorporate the other strings. Any suggestions how I can do it???

play the notes that you were playing on the A string on the others. Intsead of playing an open A, play it on the E string 5th fret or C string 9th.

I agree with Zac, learn the scales, but at different places on the fretboard.

Scales? Ok. Question though.... Do I learn the G scale on the G string, and the E scale on the E string? Or should I leRn the C scale on every string, for example?

Scales. Start learning scales from the nut, then move to learning starting them up the neck. There are obviously 7 major scales, but loads of variations too - loads to keep you going!

Scales. Start learning scales from the nut, then move to learning starting them up the neck. There are obviously 7 major scales, but loads of variations too - loads to keep you going!

12 major scales actually. ;)

The nice thing about a fretted instrument is that scales are based on shapes, and those shapes translate really easily up and down the fretboard. What you're looking to do is play ACROSS the instrument. I know some ukulele players who play scales on the C, E & A-strings, but if you can be bothered to throw the G-string into the mix (how many of you just giggled like 13-year olds?), you will start to unlock some of the really interesting things about re-entrant tuning.

This may seem a bit daunting, but if you learn ONE major scale pattern across the strings, you have, in effect, learned all 12 major scales. You just need to slide the pattern around to get the other scale.

But.. But... The a string is so handy, and I don't wanna learn scales! *stomps foot*

(It's the musical equivalent of eating your vegetables) ;)

Definitely scales, but if you can get a sense of what intervals are all about, (what the intervals between strings are, how to work around that to create the same pitches on different strings, etc.) you can really improve not only your fingerstyle range, but your musical understanding as well. Intervals are kind of the stepping stone to chord theory.

Mendel only replied to this thread once. It's probably not really him. Someone else hijacked his account, and has started asking theory questions. It's probably someone from Anonymous. They're going to use music theory to sock it to the man.

Nope! It is me! Sorry! I received the next set of revisions for my Dissertation on Friday amd have not had much time to check in. Thanks for all of the advice!! I am trying hard because the Uke is my solace in the squall that I call my daily life!!!

Top Bottom