How do you decide the picking patterns for chords ?

ukuhippo

Reaction score
I'm trying different things now, and have been watching some video's where the player is doing a song both by strumming chords and by fingerpicking through the chords, an example is the next video (cliché-song-alert).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-38Dw3DTFE

I've no musical background, and am a rookie with music theory.
Question:
How do you figure out what fingerpicking-sequence you need? O r is it just a matter of trial and error?

Trial and error--at first, especially.

How do you decide what shirt to wear today? Or whether to put that chair in the corner of the living room or by the couch? Or what style to get your hair cut?

Same thing with picking patterns. Whether to even use one in the first place is merely an artistic/style decision. And if you do use one, the one to use is likewise just up to your own taste and mood. And just like with your living room chair, it might take a couple of different shots in order to find what you like the best.

And, like anything else, the more you do it, the less you have to rely on trial-and-error and the more you can just use your instincts and experience.

Most importantly, unless you expressly want to out-and-out copy a specific pattern in a particular version, there's no "right" picking or strum pattern. You could use all sorts of different strums or picking patterns on "Hallelujah" and it could still sound good.

To quote Duke Ellington, if it sounds good, it is good!

JJ

Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if there was some 'correct theory' behind this. I'm glad there's room for improvisation, and trila and error. Thanks again.

Patterns are merely a means to an end. Pick one or 2 and get them down to where they are automatic. Use them in lots of different tunes. Then do the same with a couple more patterns, and so on .
From the perspective of when I was learning banjo rolls, the ideal situation is when they are so automatic that you no longer thing in terms of patterns.
You just play the notes you hear.

There are some folk who use clearly defined patterns. Myself, it's just random but it sounds right. I suppose that's the key really. Does it sound right? If it does then nice one.

My "go-to" pattern is "in to out" (c-e-g-a). This one sounds nice because it goes from low to high. I have done it enough, that it is totally automatic. You should find a few patterns that you really like and practice them over different chord progressions. On some songs, you can even get by with picking (g-c-e-a).

Top Bottom