Martin Price Question

strumsilly

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why this Martin O sold for over $600? it doesn't even look in very good shape. does the buyer know something I don't?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220883764480

you can get one that is mint on Elderly for over $100 less. and on Ebay in decent shape for about $300 on most days. What gives?

Last edited:
Martin prices (heck, vintage ukes in general) have been fluctuating greatly on eBay for some time now. I watch just about every one that pops up & though a few do go for $300-ish, most are going for 400-600 even for ones like that one. I guess its the increased popularity of the Uke & the Martin name.

[so if the rest of you would just abandon eBay & be satisfied w/your NEW ukes, folks like Strumsilly & myself would have a better chance of landing one of these!]

Yes , it looks a little rough. It does have those cool tuners I've seen sell on Ebay for over $100. The finish is bad on most of it but I bet it sounds great. Maybe the buyer got caught up in a bidding war and didnt want to let go , I've done that. I would value it at 350 or less ? Maybe it was a fake bid , I've seen that too.

Ditto on everything said above. Martin 0 prices seem to have fluctuated unpredictably in the last six months and maybe it's false bidding or two people who just got carried away. Forget about a Martin 0 and buy a Favilla or Gretsch for one half the price and equal quality. Of course it won't have the panache or resale value (unless someone hears it) but these ukes in some respects were better constructed and have many fewer cracks than vintage Martins. Every other or maybe even 60-70% of the Martins on ebay seem to have a crack of some sort. Some cracks affect sound and other don't, that's what makes horseraces I guess. g2

Ditto on everything said above. Martin 0 prices seem to have fluctuated unpredictably in the last six months and maybe it's false bidding or two people who just got carried away. Forget about a Martin 0 and buy a Favilla or Gretsch for one half the price and equal quality. Of course it won't have the panache or resale value (unless someone hears it) but these ukes in some respects were better constructed and have many fewer cracks than vintage Martins. Every other or maybe even 60-70% of the Martins on ebay seem to have a crack of some sort. Some cracks affect sound and other don't, that's what makes horseraces I guess. g2

I agree with Gary. Bidders got carried away for some reason. That wasn't a particularly nice Martin. I'd say it was worth around $300. But what do I know.

Last edited:
ha ha ...some people take advantage and high ball it to get the best they can....price usually doesn't have to do anything with it..you can get a real nice one for a bargin if you are patient
and look daily....yes it is greed, and people do take advantage..

now this is a particularly nice one. but possibly the law of diminishing returns, for a decimal point less you could get 2
kiwaya KTS-7s. there probably isn't too much difference. alas, I'll never know.
garyg, please don't mention the word Gretsch, they are still reasonably priced, let's let it be our little secret.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270865778781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Sorry strumsilly, you're right, our secret it is. Lost my head for a minute there! <g>. g2

Top Bottom