Uke sighting thread, post here.

menehunenyc

Reaction score
Got an idea tonight while watching a show on tv when a new commercial for Cinnamon Toast Crunch came on. The instrument playing the music in the background was......guess what???? A UKULELE!!

I think it would be a hoot if UUers would post 'UKE SITINGS' in the press. Although I suppose any media would be fair game, but I think TV might be best because most ads are national and we all might have a chance of seeing them, whereas radio and print are definitely local (then again that would be great for all the locals!!).

If you see/hear a ukulele in the media post the specifics here so we all can catch it.

...just an idea:uhoh:

Southwest Airlines add on TV here in Denver.

here in Winnipeg, there is a CELL PHONE ad circulating on the radiowaves. There pretty hilarious. I should really look for it!

The ukulele is very happy sounding, so its music can be and has been abused in commercials that attempt to remake the image of somewhat shady industries, as evidenced in this parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kckb8hhOQ

Uke heard in TV ad for the local transit authority in Quebec City, Canada. I don't watch much TV so only heard it once, last week.

There's a new kids' show on PBS called "Big Green Rabbit" that has a purple Rhino playing a banjolele on a trade mag advert, but I haven't been able to find it on the web site.

I don't know if this counts as a "sighting", and it's only tangentially uke-related, but...

I'm currently reading a book by Erik Larson called "Thunderstruck". Like his previous book ("Devil in the White City"), it weaves together actual, real-life events that took place a century ago, but it's written like a regular, fictional thriller. Good stuff so far. Quite a page-turner.

Anyway, at one point, he talks about one of the people going to see a performance by George Formby. He describes Formby as a "much-loved comedian", but no mention of any banjo-ukulele. :(

I'm guessing he's talking about George Formby senior, who was father to the uke-playing George, and was quite popular in his own right, back in the day.

JJ

Last edited:
Top Bottom