Nut Buzz :\

bynapkinart

Reaction score
I love my KoAloha, but recently I've noticed something and I can't get my mind off of it. Whenever I pluck the A string, I get this blaring buzzing punch followed by a decrease in sustain. I'm almost certain it wasn't there a week ago. Not only that, but it seems to only be coming from the nut slot...when I pull the string out of the slot even a little bit, the buzz stops. It is far more noticeable when plucking than when strumming. What can I do save for sending it back and losing my uke for a month? Any suggestions?

Whenever I get a buzz, I change the strings and its worked ALMOST every time.

Eureka! The string is too skinny for the slot and it's vibrating in there. Who knows what the stock string is, Worth CL or CM? What would be a thicker option to try?

Thanks!

Eureka! The string is too skinny for the slot and it's vibrating in there. Who knows what the stock string is, Worth CL or CM? What would be a thicker option to try?

Thanks!

Worth CM "a" string is .52mm compared with .47 mm for the CL "a" string. "e" string and "c" string are sized the same within the two sets at .66mm and .74mm respectively. Worth CM "g" string is .57mm and the Worth CL "g" string is 52 mm. www.elderly.com has a good selection of strings and provides the sizes as well.

I got this from MMStan- works like a charm. Little tiny bit of a post-it note under the string will sort it right out, and if you do it right you will never see it and can run any string you like

Why not call KoAloha and tell them about your issue? Maybe they'll have a simple suggestion to fix the buzz. Or maybe they'll send you an alternative set of strings. By all accounts they're great folks, so just give them a call.

I got this from MMStan- works like a charm. Little tiny bit of a post-it note under the string will sort it right out, and if you do it right you will never see it and can run any string you like

Yes, shim the nut with a piece if paper...loosen the string and lift it out of the groove and put a small piece of paper in the nut groove.
and put the string in.. it will resolve the loose play that is vibrating the string in the nut...good Luck..like previously stated you can try
a thicker string set to resolve your issue too..

SUCCESS!! Thank you so much MM Stan, it worked perfectly and my KoAloha is singing beautifully again! Thanks so so so much!

Ah man I tell you, that made my month right there. Best christmas gift ever, considering I'm spending it stag for the first time in my life...1200 miles away from friends and family, I'm counting on this little soprano to keep me happy and I'm just so so psyched that it was just the slot that was the problem and not something more serious. Thanks to both of you, you've saved christmas! Lol

Top Bottom