type of wood

dancergirlm&m

Reaction score
I am trying to make a homeade ukulele, but i was wondering, is it possible to use pearwood to make a ukulele? I'm just not sure if it will vibrate well, due to its hardness.

Go for it. The pearwood that I've worked with is a lot like cherry. I've not made a pearwood uke, but I love the sound of the cherry ukes that I've made. They tend to be bright and responsive.

I live in pear and apple orchard country. Both woods would work to a degree but they would not be my first choice for tone woods. The color can be kind of drab and without much character also. Apricot and peach woods are much prettier, but all these woods wouldn't be the best for top plates. Besides being a bit on the bright side for sound, they tend to have less volume and are more prone to cracks as they age. Good luck if you decide to use the pearwood.

Well the main reason I would like to use pearwood is because I had a pear tree that fell down, and we have kept all of the wood from it for firewood. I am really just picking pearwood out out of cost.

You can use the pear wood, but make sure it is very well cured with no more than a 6% moisture content anywhere on the boards you use. Good luck.

Top Bottom