"Warm" types of wood?

flutinggnee

Reaction score
Aside from koa, what are some other types of wood that have a "warm" as opposed to a bright tone?

Thanks for any info!

Flamed maple?

Thanks for the reply re: mahogany and cedar. Are there any more unusual woods that might be described as tonally warm-sounding? I know spruce is usually described as bright, and mango as kind of "middle of the road." Where does redwood place re: warm-bright? What about walnut?

Don't forget firewood.

Sorry.

That's mostly what Dave G. uses for his builds - seems to work well for him! ;)

How come there are no "cold" sounding woods?

Because "cold" for some reason sounds negative. So people refer to it as "bright" instead. At least...that's how I've always understood the two ends of the range when talking about the character of the sound. Warm = mahogany. Bright = maple. Everything else seems to fall somewhere in between.

I just finished a Maple tenor with a Redwood top and it has nice warm sound. I was thinking it would have a brighter sound....but Im very pleased with it

Spanish Cedar

Actually, the tenor spruce topped uke I just listed has a nice mellow warm sound. Using a little different technique in construction, one can learn and adjust the woods to get the sound warmer or brighter.

Top Bottom