PDA

View Full Version : Applying a tru oil finish on an ukulele with a satin finish

alexandernguyen408
12-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I was wondering, would I have to refinish the uke, or could i just apply the tru oil right over the original finish? I would really like a gloss finish instead of a satin one.

Rick Turner
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
That's not the way to do it...could wind up being a mess.

You don't say brand or type of finish, either. It matters.

Hobo
12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi...
I found a vintage Harmony at a flea market this summer. It was in fairly good shape and just needed a little attention. I cleaned it gently and then put a couple of light coats of Tru Oil over the original finish and it turned out great. I would not refinish your ukulele unless you have no alternative.

hmgberg
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
You may be able to buff your satin to a gloss finish with a little bit of polish. It won't be like a "factory" gloss, but it will be glossier than a satin finish. However, this is not something I would recommend for a valuable vintage or custom made one. In that case I wouldn't mess with it without knowing what the finish on it is and even then, I would only be looking to preserve and protect a damaged finish. If it is a recent, inexpensive, Chinese import for example, wand you just want it to shine... buff it up.

tonewood
12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
If the finish on your guitar was an oil finish you could just scotch gaurd and apply. But more than likely you either have poly or a laquer finish. If you wanted to use True Oil you would need to strip the original finish because the oil needs to first penetrate the wood. Then you start building up coats to get the desired sheen. Find out what type of finish is on there and if its laquer then scuff sand with 350 grit and brush or spray gloss laquer. If poly, stick with that. Lay down a wet coat. Sand that. One more wet coat, call it good. You allready have plenty of finish on there. Keep it thin. Good luck.