What are your top 5 uke models that have been released in the past 5 years?

Ryan<3Ukes

Reaction score
Yeah ^^^ No customs of course :)

Example: (Im not serious... Kind of)
1. Koaloha Sceptre Concert
2.Makala baritone Even though I don't know how to play one
3. Makala MK-P pineapple soprano because Im hungry
4. Riptide Solid Mahogany Cup holder uke.
5. 2008 KPK ukes with the cracking issues.

With the requirement of the OP being a uke model released in the past five years, I'm going to submit the Nalu ukes to the list. Great tone and quality coupled with good value.

I think you may be forgetting Eric devine and his amazing lineup...
a20791f133d8c2218918a2_l.jpg

Attachments

• a20791f133d8c2218918a2_l.jpg
    a20791f133d8c2218918a2_l.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3
Wrong league, Sean. You're throwing a Hall-of-Famer into a high school game. :) Now let me duck before the Sceptre defenders start hurling stuff my way.

Last edited:
I reckon Mainland should be up there somewhere, with their terrific ukes that give Bang to your Buck! Look terrific & sound great - good mid priced ukes for those who can't afford the top dollar ones!

Roberta

Wouldn't Compass Rose and Collings fall into that time frame?

Ko'olau solid body electrics?

Mainland of course, Eleuke version 2...

aNueNue 1879 definitely. Rivals any K brand for looks, construction and sound quality. It's pricey but you get what you pay for and maybe Uke Republic will give you a good deal. BTW I hold no financial interest in Uke Republic, they're just good folks as are many other vendors on the board. g2

My vote would be for any of the well-made, less expensive ukuleles that have made quality instruments available to everybody! Mainland, Ohana, Kala, Lanikai - many others. I think my number one vote would be for Mainland, though, because every one of their options is a well-made, all-solid-wood uke that will give the user pleasure for a long, long time. I don't even own one - but I've been impressed by the reviews people have given their own Mainlands, and I'm impressed at the name recognition Mainland has generated in a relatively short time.

I would add: The Ohana 50G Concert (rosewood with cedar top) model and any of the islander series.

I would have to agree with previous posts about Mainland instruments. Also the progress and quality of the Mya Moe brand cannot be faulted. I mean given that they have lately added the pineapple and incorporated the Beansprout banjo ukes in the last 6 mos.

Not many people here own ko'olau or kamoa models. Or one of those Blackbird ukuleles.

Mine! See below:eek:

1) Makala Dolphin - purple.
2) Makala Dolphin - Red.
3) Makala Dolphin - Blue.
4) Makala Dolphin - Black.
5) Makala Dolphin - Green.

There have been a ton of new uke models introduced in the last 5 years, so that's a really tough question. I'd say that if you want a tenor with great cost-performance ratio, the Fender Koa Nohea is great. More expensive, everything by Mainland or Ohana, anything by KoAloha.

I think that the uke has gained enough respect this time around where people are actually spending a lot of money on innovating the design for the first time. I think all of the brands introduced in the last five years display a huge leap forward in terms of design and sound. Old Martins are phenomenal instruments, but they came around in the days that at least 30 or 40 companies were making sopranos of practically the same specs as they were. Now there are so many companies with so many ideas as to what the future holds for the ukulele, so they are creating identities for themselves and in the process they're taking the uke further than it's ever been.

Given the uke revival is only around 5 years old, you could mention nearly any uke on the market today, surely?

Top Bottom