Thoughts on UAS

SamWise

Reaction score
I've come across similar syndromes before, on other boards. I'm also a cycling fanatic, and I've come across an interesting theory on www.bikeforums.com which is useful. This theory states that the optimal number of bicycles to own is n+1, where n is the current number of bicycles you own. Could this be applied to ukuleles too?

I've come across similar syndromes before, on other boards. I'm also a cycling fanatic, and I've come across an interesting theory on www.bikeforums.com which is useful. This theory states that the optimal number of bicycles to own is n+1, where n is the current number of bicycles you own. Could this be applied to ukuleles too?

Close.

It is actually a(n+1). a=4 (one for each size Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Baritone)

Before everyone goes off on how many ukes they have hanging on the wall, I would like to state that according to my opinion, UAS is first and foremost a thing for those with money, the "haves".
I am much more entertained by people playing the heck out of a cheap instrument (or adequately priced instrument for that matter) and keeping music in first place, than by looking at heaps of uke collections. Although things may become different when they are unique or vintage instruments. But to be honest, playing a ukulele and UAS are not necessarily the same thing. As pure as the former can be, so decadent can the latter become.

No offense to people with a lot of ukes, or the lust for one more. It's just that personally, I try to keep it "real" (pronounce [ri-oow]; big 'em up for Ali G!) as I do with my camera lenses: find out what gear you need, get it and worry no more.

[/old sour fart mode]

wow...i been googling uas for like 15 minutes trying to find out what it means. and i didn't want to ask n e one cuz i didn't want to come across as a newb or stupid. funny i didn't know people had a name for this... ukulele acquisition syndrome. that's for people that don't know what it means and come across this thread. urwelcome haha.

The same thing is identified everywhere. The people with the most bikes tend to spend the most time talking about them on t'internet, and by extension, less time riding them. It's a fact of life, however, that some people are at least as turned on by the gear as the activity, and thank goodness for it, or none of the magazines I write for would exist. I'm definitely one who runs the risk of talking more than doing, but I do love the doing as well, and the Ukes I have around for review have had me sitting and playing far more than usual......

I had UAS only because I was looking for the right ukes for me. Currently I have four. A soprano, concert, tenor and electric. I might get more but the dire need to search for right one is gone.

Before everyone goes off on how many ukes they have hanging on the wall, I would like to state that according to my opinion, UAS is first and foremost a thing for those with money, the "haves"...

123 +rep.

well said, i used to visit a drum forum where it seemed people drooled over lovely instruments more then playing there own. On the flip side for some people it is hard to get in to an instrument when there own is the lowest quality. right now my ukes tone is getting worse and worse and because of it ive been playing it less and less. i cant wait for my g-string to come in so i can begin playing. it sounds silly, but it is true.

I had UAS only because I was looking for the right ukes for me. Currently I have four. A soprano, concert, tenor and electric. I might get more but the dire need to search for right one is gone.

Agreed. My soprano UAS has pretty much gone now I have the La Foley. But oh, all those concerts ...

Thats what I am getting down to, plus a 8 string tenor so a few songs that I play.

I can't comment on my own personal UAS until I have one of each size. When I start wanting more after that, I'll seek treatment. :D

I don't spend too much on any individual instrument-- I don't make that much. But I really like variety-- I really like having multiple very different ukuleles, just so that I have one that suits the kind of sound I make that day.

It's a relatively cheap instrument-- or at least on average, it is-- and that's part of the appeal to me. It allows me to have several, and to make very different sounds and have very different playing experiences.

I can't afford UAS ;) so I'm really happy with my two sopranos.

The collecting syndrome definitely pertains to many hobbies though, as fish keepers often have what's known as "MTS" or "Multiple Tank Syndrome". I had 7 large fish tanks at one time lol, now I'm down to two once I realized how impractical and tough on my electric bill it was.

Before everyone goes off on how many ukes they have hanging on the wall, I would like to state that according to my opinion, UAS is first and foremost a thing for those with money, the "haves".
I am much more entertained by people playing the heck out of a cheap instrument (or adequately priced instrument for that matter) and keeping music in first place, than by looking at heaps of uke collections. Although things may become different when they are unique or vintage instruments. But to be honest, playing a ukulele and UAS are not necessarily the same thing. As pure as the former can be, so decadent can the latter become.

No offense to people with a lot of ukes, or the lust for one more. It's just that personally, I try to keep it "real" (pronounce [ri-oow]; big 'em up for Ali G!) as I do with my camera lenses: find out what gear you need, get it and worry no more.

[/old sour fart mode]

I totally agree! I have one uke and thats all i need!! it was 160 and its a kala that sounds really really good for its price! Thats all i really need! ;)

Me too! Thanks for keeping it "real". I thought I might have UAS since I've bought 3 ukes in the past year (making my total to 4). But, I find I don't play my baritone at all and want to sell it. Thanks for reminding me that it's about the music and not the collection of instruments. (Although I'm still looking for a cheap pocket amp.. :D )

i agree with UkeNinja's assessment. one is all you really need.

however, i won't feel bad about admitting UAS bit me ass and i'm totally rabid now. i own several relatively cheap ukes and i'm perfectly fine with keeping it "unreal" or "fake". one pair of shoes is all you really need too. but people still find a way to own two, three, seventy pair.

so while i agree, there's no reason to feel guilty about having it(UAS) either.:)

as I pretty much agree with everyone's POV on UAS for me at least its a matter of finding the one that's right for me.
For example when I decided to take up guitar I went through about 8 and decidedly kept 3. Or with my drums I went through 2 (and about a dozen or so cymbals, rides, etc)and found that on one set I liked the snare and toms and the others from the other set. Or if your anything like my brother or my sister that have gone through hundreds of condenser mics, turntables, beatpads, synthesizers, you would know that finding that RIGHT mic or that RIGHT BEAT means thousands of dollars and TIME!!

For the instruments that don't get the cut I have no desire in keeping them to take up space so I sell them or gifted 2 guitars to my little cousins!

I have 2 ukes right now relatively cheap ones(one I found in the attic and one that was a gift for my bday) but I love to play them regardless of price or look and will probably purchase more to find the RIGHT one. Ive come to the conclusion that I really like the feel of a concert!

I'm sure if I had money I'd probably go on to purchase many more instruments is that really necessary YES and NO-yes if you want to find the instrument your fated to be with and no if you just don't have the resources!

SO IN CONCLUSION,
finding what's right for you is important..........
i figure you don't choose the uke...the uke chooses you!!

*THE END* haha:rock:

Keeping it real is having a goal, sacrificing, and working two full time jobs while trying to put yourself through school for years so when all that hard work finally paid off, having UAS would be a good thing.

deach - keeping it real

so if you had to do it again, would you buy two ukes rather then one? Saying if I were to get a $500 pono, would it be better to get like a Ohana solid mahog and a Kala spruce top or stick with one good quality uke? Is two sounds better then ONE?

so if you had to do it again, would you buy two ukes rather then one? Saying if I were to get a $500 pono, would it be better to get like a Ohana solid mahog and a Kala spruce top or stick with one good quality uke? Is two sounds better then ONE?

The Ohana and the Kala are both good quality.

For me, it wasn't about the name, it was about finding the right fit and the right sound. If I could achieve that spending $100, I'd be happy.

Top Bottom