The Descendants movie

Trinimon

Reaction score
I watched the George Clooney movie The Descendants on Saturday. If you love the Hawaiian islands, it's probably a no brainer to go see it for the scenery and more so the great Hawaiian mele soundtrack. Lots of great classics by Gabby Pahinui, Makaha Sons, Dennis Kamakahi etc. I found myself taken to the islands the minute the opening credits started rolling.

The movie is about a haole land baron (George Clooney) trying to connect with his two daughters after their mother was injured in a boating accident.

It's got a few funny moments in it but mostly drama and a bit of teary eyed parts. I found it entertaining, maybe because I'm biased to anything Hawaiian. A couple walked out in the middle of the movie and probably figured that either they were bored or was expecting more of a comedy which it really isn't IMHO.

All in all, worth seeing if you want a 2hr Hawaii fix.

It was a great Hawaiian escape. I agree -- although I chuckled a few times -- it's not a comedy. I really liked George Clooney's character.
I haven't looked, but I do hope a CD of the songs comes out. I made my husband and mother in-law stay until the music credits rolled through to see who played. Great music.

I hope to see that one soon. I'll never pass up an opportunity to be transported to Hawaii. :)

Yup, the soundtrack is available on CD via Amazon.com for $11. + shipping or you can get it through iTunes for $10. I grabbed it off iTunes and have been listening to it to and from work. It's my stress release esp with the busy Christmas season now.

I recognize a lot of the locations and with the music, you feel like you're there. However corny that sounds. lol

It was a great Hawaiian escape. I agree -- although I chuckled a few times -- it's not a comedy. I really liked George Clooney's character.
I haven't looked, but I do hope a CD of the songs comes out. I made my husband and mother in-law stay until the music credits rolled through to see who played. Great music.

I'm a sucker for anything related to Hawaii. Still watch Hawaii 5-0 for that reason, although they spend a heck of a lot of time at the Hilton it seems.

Loved the movie... definitely not as funny as they made it out to be, but still really well acted and a good story. In fact, it dealt with several serious subjects that I thought were handled well. I loved the scenes in Kauai as I was lucky enough to spend about 5 days on that very beach.

Oh well, back to surfing for good hotel rates for the Spring...

I loved the scenes in Kauai as I was lucky enough to spend about 5 days on that very beach.

Oh well, back to surfing for good hotel rates for the Spring...

I also loved the movie. What beach is that?

ive been wanting to see this, heard about it on Keola Beamers facebook, sounds like a great movie, especialy the sound track!

I love movies and shows about Hawaii (if they are done well and respectfully) its so beautiful. If I need a HI fix, I like to go on google maps street view and 'drive' around. I've taken 'virtual' trips all over the islands. its the next best thing to being there for me since I'm disabled and dont have the means to go.

I thought it sucked pond water.

Listening to the soundtrack as I type this. Really more focused on slack-key guitar than ukulele, but it's a must-buy nonetheless. Good stuff!

As for the movie, well, the wife and I made a point to see all nine Best Picture nominees this year. With all due respect to "The Artist", we both thought "The Descendants" was probably the best of the lot.

JJ

Top Bottom