Guitalele Strings

thekaisersays

Reaction score
I've got the Yamaha GL1 Guitalele (a 17" guitar, generally tuned ADGCEA) and I want to replace the stock strings on it. I know nothing about classical guitar strings so I'm looking for recommendations. In my readings, I also stumbled across the LaBella FG114 strings, which are designed specifically for 1/4 scale guitars. Does anyone know anything about these, and whether they are ADGCEA tuning or standard EADGBE?

The LaBellas are designed for E to E tuning.
I have them on my D-VI and am happy with them. I have a friend who put them on his Yamaha with success as well.

So you can tune the d-vi like a guitar? Well that puts it back into play for a potential uke for the hubby.

Regarding the LaBellas - I read that one of the strings (the 3rd, I think) is wound. What does this mean and does it matter?

So you can tune the d-vi like a guitar? Well that puts it back into play for a potential uke for the hubby.

Yep, the DV-I and all guitaleles for that matter can be guitar tuned with the proper strings. Best to tune them instead of EADGBE up to ADGCEA with the first four strings tuned just like a uke. They sound great that way. Scale is usually too short for EADGBE tuning, making the strings too loose and susceptible to buzzing. In my experience, it can be done, but not always ideal unless with the right strings.

I use standard size, normal d'addario EJ45 classical strings on my guitalele and they sound wonderful.

Aquila superior tension classical strings are working well for me.

Hey, I just found out that Aquila makes a dedicated guitalele set! I bought them from Elderly, and they came the other day, but I haven't put them on it yet. I expect they'll do the same brightening-up of the GL-1 that they accomplish for my other cheap ukes.

Top Bottom