Mystery Chords

Reaction score
Contrary to saying I have played guitar for 16 years, I've never learned a lick of what one might refer to as theory. I can play most songs I hear, make an educated guess about the tuning of the guitar and so on...

Sadly, this hasn't translated to the ukulele (yet).

I was looking up guitar chords to a song, and ran across some chords that are either:
  • Wrong
  • I'm confused
  • or don't have a native ukulele equivalent.

Of course, another option may be that I flat out don't know what I'm talking about.

These mystery chords are as follows (and they could be wrong, they were translated by Google from Japanese).

• Dm-5 (that can't be right? In fact, I'm sure Google just stripped that 5 from elsewhere in the sentence))
  • G/B (what does that even mean?)
  • Cm/E (and again....)

And that's it for now. I'm sure the answer to this is simple, but hey, there ya go!

Thanks in advance!

Haven't actually looked at one, but new book out re: Ukulele for guitarists

• G/B (what does that even mean?)
  • Cm/E (and again....)

The letter after the slash is the bass note. If no bass note is specified it's assumed to be the "root note" (the one the chord is named for.) You can pretty much ignore it, especially on uke. On guitar it can be useful if you're doing more than a simple strum. Pianists use it for the left hand (which plays the bass part.) And bass players pay more attention to it than they do to the chord.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom