Buying My Next Ukulele

Dmarcin

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum. I purchased my first ukulele around 6 months ago or so, and I'd say I'm fairly proficient at it right now. I started out with a Lanikai LU-21 Soprano I purchased, and I think it's time I upgrade to a a nicer ukulele, but I'm having some trouble making a decision...

I don't want to spend over $200, and I'd like either a soprano or a concert. I've been looking at KPKs, Mainlands, Fluke Fleas, and the Epiphone Les Paul, but I just can't make the decision.

Mainlands and KPKs I have no problems with, but even though all the good things I read about them, I'm still nervous about throwing down $200 on a Flea because of the plastic body, plastic fretboard, and friction tuners...I'm also nervous about the Epiphone because I'm afraid of how it'll sound acoustically. I'd really appreciate some advice on which to get, or a suggestion of another good ukulele in the price range of $100-$200.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard! You might try looking under 'Buying Tips'. There is a recent post called 'Best Ukulele for >$60 >100 >200. I bet you can find something you'll like!

Welcome to UU! Whatever you decide to buy, be sure to get it from a reliable source who will do a proper setup.

Have you looked at the Islander line from Kanile'a? The solid mahogany MSS-4 is just a bit out of your price range, but the laminate concert size MC-4 leaves plenty of budget leeway for extra strings and a case.

Happy hunting and let us know what you bring home.

Do like most and get a laminate Kala or Lanikai...
...if you stick with playing the uke, they will make a great "beater".

I have had a Flea, a couple Mainland's and a KPK. The Flea is a great choice. If it was me I would get a Mainland. Mainlands are great ukes and personally I like them better than the KPK.

Ohana has some solid top, laminate side/back in that range that play sweet.

I may be in the minority here, but my suggestion is to go exactly the other way. Save your money and wait until you can afford a premier 'ukulele. I totally get the desire to get something newer and better than your intro uke, but the thing is, if you get something now, you'll find yourself in exactly this same position of coveting a better uke in another three months or so - maybe even sooner.

So, my suggestion (and I know it's hard), is to not spend your $200 just yet, but sock it away and add money to it little by little. In another few months you may find yourself with about $400 - $500 and suddenly it won't be a choice between another Kala laminate or a KPK (which may not be bad choices), but a decision between whether you want the KoAloha, Kamaka, or Kanile'a.

A student of mine just bought a Mainland Concert from Mike. It is an awesome instrument. well made, sounds great, and it is very nice on the eyes. If I recall correctly, it was a blemished one, and he got a great deal. Even at tfull price, those Ukes are well worth the money. I woudl say that your choice is clear.... No need to look any further.

I may be in the minority here, but my suggestion is to go exactly the other way. Save your money and wait until you can afford a premier 'ukulele. I totally get the desire to get something newer and better than your intro uke, but the thing is, if you get something now, you'll find yourself in exactly this same position of coveting a better uke in another three months or so - maybe even sooner.

So, my suggestion (and I know it's hard), is to not spend your $200 just yet, but sock it away and add money to it little by little. In another few months you may find yourself with about $400 - $500 and suddenly it won't be a choice between another Kala laminate or a KPK (which may not be bad choices), but a decision between whether you want the KoAloha, Kamaka, or Kanile'a.

I agree 100%!!!! You already have a uke to play, save your money and get a real nice uke!!

I agree 100%!!!! You already have a uke to play, save your money and get a real nice uke!!

This is my advice also. If you know you love it, you'd be much better served served saving up for a "premier" uke instead of working your way through a bunch of ukes that are really just stepping stones to "the one" you'll ultimately want. Customs are a whole different strand of UAS!

Happy strumming,

-Gary

I agree as well, and it doesn't have to be $800 for a Kamaka. I have a Kala KA-S (very much like the LU-21), and I'm saving for a Kelii super soprano. There are lots of fantastic options if you go to about $400-500. Even ukes made in the USA. Aside from Kelii, there's Black Bear, Loprinzi, MP--so many choices, it'll make your head spin. And you could find something awesome if you go with a "previously loved" ukulele.

Thanks for all of the replies everybody, really helpful.

The problem with waiting it out for more money on a really nice one, is that I can only work in the summer, as I'm only a sophomore in highschool and my parents won't allow me to work during the year, I'm riding on Christmas money/birthday money for a new ukulele.

Also with that, is that I honestly would not trust myself with an expensive ukulele, doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

I'm more so interested in the Mainland than the KPK, but I'd like to know more about each, I guess. I like the idea of the Flea as well, but I'm just too nervous about it not being worth the price with it's heavy use of plastics and it's friction tuners.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

EDIT: Just saw the buying tips board, didn't know there was one when I made this thread! Sorry guys.

Last edited:
I was referring to the options available. Trying to decide what you want can make your head spin!
Gary, sorry if I sounded like I was disagreeing with you. I was just riffing off your last statement. I actually completely agree with...
"...you'd be much better served served saving up for a "premier" uke instead of working your way through a bunch of ukes that are really just stepping stones to "the one" you'll ultimately want."
This is essentially the route I took with my first uke. And you're right that it gets even worse once you peek into custom uke territory.

No worries. I was just clarifying what I meant. There are a ton of great ukes in that price range, just not my skill level. My hands are big and it takes too much work to play a soprano :eek:)

You can get some very playable Ukes in this range and it's fun having two Ukes with totally different strings and sound to suit your taste/style of the day. My playing level can't justify a $800 Uke but can two different $200 Ukes.

Thanks for all of the replies everybody, really helpful.

The problem with waiting it out for more money on a really nice one, is that I can only work in the summer, as I'm only a sophomore in highschool and my parents won't allow me to work during the year, I'm riding on Christmas money/birthday money for a new ukulele.

Also with that, is that I honestly would not trust myself with an expensive ukulele, doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

I'm more so interested in the Mainland than the KPK, but I'd like to know more about each, I guess. I like the idea of the Flea as well, but I'm just too nervous about it not being worth the price with it's heavy use of plastics and it's friction tuners.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

EDIT: Just saw the buying tips board, didn't know there was one when I made this thread! Sorry guys.

Well, if you're strapped (and I know what that is like), then my two kopeks is that you go with either the Mainland or KPK as well. The difference would be woods. As far as I know, KPK uses acacia, which is a relative of koa and may have some of the same tonal qualities (brightness), while Mainlands are mahog and cedar, with a mango as well.

On the other hand, there have been a lot of good things said about Flea/Fluke, and the advantage there is no concerns at all about humidity (which could be a problem in Michigan) or minor dings. It would definitely be a very solid and hard-to-damage option, and would travel well.

Gee, I guess this really didn't help much, did it?

Well, if you're strapped (and I know what that is like), then my two kopeks is that you go with either the Mainland or KPK as well. The difference would be woods. As far as I know, KPK uses acacia, which is a relative of koa and may have some of the same tonal qualities (brightness), while Mainlands are mahog and cedar, with a mango as well.

On the other hand, there have been a lot of good things said about Flea/Fluke, and the advantage there is no concerns at all about humidity (which could be a problem in Michigan) or minor dings. It would definitely be a very solid and hard-to-damage option, and would travel well.

Gee, I guess this really didn't help much, did it?

I think I will go with either the KPK or the Mainland, more likely the Mainland. The Flea looks nice, but I'm just too worried about it.

It's a little bit pricier, which is no good, but I do like that it isn't a rosewood nut and saddle, that worried me a little, I thought it might dampen the sound. Plus, that rope binding is really cool. Would you suggest a mahogany, cedar, or a mango? I think cedar sounds nice, but I don't know if it's good on ukuleles. (Sounds absolutely awesome on the Seagull S6 guitar)

Top Bottom