Mini or Pocket Uke

If possible, make the neck wider than the normal pocket uke for ease of play. I would be a customer in that case. Big meat hooks can't play itty bitty fret boards.

If you want, check out my blog and click the label "piccolo". Then you'll see the small ukes I build. They're fashioned like a very old midget uke a friend has, but I made some adjustments. The most important were a smaller soundhole, a deeper body and a wider neck. Scale length is 280 mm, weight between 180 and 210 grams. The original is also in one or two of the pics.

Sven

Hi Sven,

Your blog is further evidence that luthiers are people full of varied and fantastic interests. I checked out the piccolo pages and couldn't find any pics of how (or if) you brace your backs. Apart from the obvious advantages of tone bars and bridge plates, how important is bracing in such a small instrument?

I found just one pic of the single back brace, here:

bild-723470.jpg

I wouldn't go without one. And as you can see I glue in back braces prior to glueing the back.

Regarding cherry, it's a great wood. Hard enough for the integrated fretboard, carves easily and takes a great finish. I made a soprano of cherry a long tie ago, but mostly piccolos. I think the cherry I found at the merchant was American cherry, in Sweden the cherry trees are smaller.

Sven

Ah, good of you to ask! That is my most cunning invention. Check it out here:
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2011/02/slotting-neck.html

And the result here:
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2011/02/checking-depth.html

The plastic rod pieces that help hold the perspex in place are cut flush and become positions markers. It's all because of the fact that I want to fit the neck straight and true before cutting the slots, just to make sure that the 12th slot is exactly in the joint between neck and body.

The pic I posted to show the back brace was taken when the jig was made in situ, hence the aluminum foil wrapping.

Nice, Thanks for the suggestions guys. I started on one this morning, we will see how it goes. I will post pics later.

I just picked up some douglas fir with the intention to do some pocket ukes and mountain dulcimers. Watching this thread will be interesting for sure.

Top Bottom