PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Mahogany soprano that sounds good with Aquilas

fabioponta
12-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi UU friends, I am looking for a soprano, preferably solid mahogany, vintage or contemporary, that sounds good with Aquila strings.
I have a bit of a UAS fetish for sopranos with Aquila strings. :o

Please send me a PM, or leave a comment here. I use paypal and shipping by USPS Priority Mail International.

Thanks!

ukeeku
12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Mainland.... yep Mainland

fabioponta
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Mainland.... yep Mainland

It's one of my possible choices, but I don't found any soprano avaiable yet.. just pineapples.

bbycrts
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
On the inexpensive side, my Koloa is solid mahogany and sounded pretty bland until I put Aquilas on it - now I really love it! I don't play it much since I got my custom...but it's well-made, looks good, and sounds great. It also cost me less than $90 U.S., though I don't know if you'd be able to track them down very easily down Brazil way. Also, the stock tuners are pure garbage. I replaced them with a $10 set of Taisamlu (from eBay) tuners and have been delighted with the results ever since.

OldePhart
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Believe it or not, the cheap little Lanikai LU11s actually sound very "ukish" with Aquillas. Or, at least, the good ones do once they're set up (there's a fair amount of variability in any of the inexpensive lines). These are laminated ukes of course but I was kind of surprised by the one that I bought for a granddaughter so this year I bought four more for other grandkids. I'm going through setting them up and they sound pretty decent for cheap ukes. They won't hold a candle to a KoAloha or the like, of course, but they aren't half bad.

For something a little more expensive it's hard to go wrong with a Mainland. Kalas are decent if you set them up or buy them from someone who does - from the factory the setup even on their solid wood models is every bit as variable as with the lower-end laminated ukes.

John

Doc_J
12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
If you have the funds, buy a Ken Timms soprano. His ukes sound excellent with Aquila strings.

fabioponta
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
If you have the funds, buy a Ken Timms soprano. His ukes sound excellent with Aquila strings.

Doc_J, I guess I was expecting some tell me that. I think Ken Timms aesthetically wonderful. If it sounds good, even better.

Some Ken Timms used?

UkueBass23
12-15-2011, 04:51 AM
I have a solid mahogany Islander with Aquila strings that I like very much. Not to hard on the wallet either. Get a good set up if you are going with Aquila strings.

fabioponta
12-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the opinions here: I bought my Ken Timms mahogany soprano style 0 today directly from Ken. Just waiting arrive in 2 or 3 weeks...:drool: