Hive Ukuleles: New Website

Wow Jake, the new site looks great!

Excellent, Jake! Elegant, clean & simple. Very nice images. A sampling of sound clips would be welcome.

Wow! Very nice work on the website, and your ukes are phenomenal. Those finishes are perfect!

Hi Jake,
Your site looks nice and clean and fits your ukuleles quite well. There are a couple of things I would change.
All your navigation buttons work when you click on them except the model one. I believe this is because you have the dropdown. If I click the two models its fine, but if I click the Model, it brings me to an “Address not valid page”
Also the slide show works good in your Gallery page. The toggles to go forward or back (inside the picture) don’t work for me. Since they are also at the bottom as well, maybe you can just remove them. The camera file number is also visible in the upper left. Maybe change the files to let me know what model I’m looking at or what feature you’re pointing out.

I’m in the process of building a site myself so I know it can be a huge pain, but I hope this helps

Stephen

Nice Work, The Gallery came up with several duplicate images or images so close as to be redundant. Show me your best 16 to 20 shots and thats it. I understand selective focus, use it don't abuse it. Images have a cold blue cast. I don't think cool when I think of ukes. Site loads a little slow, I suspect image size or hosting or transition scheme. Gallery not Iphone friendly. Image titles should not display with images as in 123.jpg. The dropdown "Models" menu if clicked on directly sends you to "can't find page" I don''t want you to think I don't love the layout or ukes I do. They are beautiful and the site general design is strong.

Viewed with Safari 5.0.6
Cable Internet Connection. tested @ 5.51Mbps after viewing

Last edited:
Beautiful site. Congratulations. Love the photography, including the soft focus shots. All gallery navigation buttons worked for me.

What content management system are you using?

Site loads fine for me on Safari, Chrome & Firefox. There are some similar, but not identical shots, in the gallery. Focus points are intentional.

Jake, your photography and site design are just stunning. I mean...the ukes themselves are great subjects, since they're spectacular...but this really shows them off! Nice job!

Another suggestion would be to add a bit more information (or at least make it more conspicuous) about the woods you use. It took me a little bit of prodding to see that you only use spruce / mahog.

And, another thing would be to add a pretty visible "more info" or "order" or "pricing" section. As it is, the site looks like a gorgeous promotional place, but not so much of a purchasing one.

Not trying to be critical, just helpful.

That's a very polished and sophisticated looking website Jake. Really nice eye candy and easy to find your way around. A few things I noticed.

Similar comments about the "Models" link. Top link needs to be deactivated, or takes you to another page where you choose between the two you offer.

The Gallery does have too many very similar shots....even though they are spectacular ones, it adds to the download time for the slide show. Also you have the generic camera file names specified in the "alt" tags and they show up when I mouse over the image. I would either delete the "alt" tag or rename the image to something more appropriate.

One the Home page your banner does a similar thing with your images showing alt tags of "banner_maple_5" etc. You should be able to delete the "alt" tag or rename it to something a little more user friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom