PDA

View Full Version : Hive Ukuleles: New Website

maclay
12-15-2011, 05:27 AM
I am very pleased to announce that my new website has officially gone live! Please visit the site and check it out. Feedback and comments are encouraged.

http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

DeVineGuitars
12-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Wow Jake, the new site looks great!

maclay
12-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I am very pleased to announce that my new website has officially gone live! Please visit the site and check it out. Feedback and comments are encouraged.

http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Drew Bear
12-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Excellent, Jake! Elegant, clean & simple. Very nice images. A sampling of sound clips would be welcome.

tattwo
12-15-2011, 06:34 AM
LOVE the Maple :drool:

maclay
12-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Excellent, Jake! Elegant, clean & simple. Very nice images. A sampling of sound clips would be welcome.

Thanks Drew. I plan on adding video once I learn how to edit the site. Until then......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZz6cuM0tg

finkdaddy
12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Wow! Very nice work on the website, and your ukes are phenomenal. Those finishes are perfect!

Flyfish57
12-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi Jake,
Your site looks nice and clean and fits your ukuleles quite well. There are a couple of things I would change.
All your navigation buttons work when you click on them except the model one. I believe this is because you have the dropdown. If I click the two models its fine, but if I click the Model, it brings me to an “Address not valid page”
Also the slide show works good in your Gallery page. The toggles to go forward or back (inside the picture) don’t work for me. Since they are also at the bottom as well, maybe you can just remove them. The camera file number is also visible in the upper left. Maybe change the files to let me know what model I’m looking at or what feature you’re pointing out.

I’m in the process of building a site myself so I know it can be a huge pain, but I hope this helps

Stephen

Michael Smith
12-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Nice Work, The Gallery came up with several duplicate images or images so close as to be redundant. Show me your best 16 to 20 shots and thats it. I understand selective focus, use it don't abuse it. Images have a cold blue cast. I don't think cool when I think of ukes. Site loads a little slow, I suspect image size or hosting or transition scheme. Gallery not Iphone friendly. Image titles should not display with images as in 123.jpg. The dropdown "Models" menu if clicked on directly sends you to "can't find page" I don''t want you to think I don't love the layout or ukes I do. They are beautiful and the site general design is strong.

Viewed with Safari 5.0.6
Cable Internet Connection. tested @ 5.51Mbps after viewing

Lori
12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Nice website Jake. Very nice photography. I would like to see a straight on detail shot of the headstock though. Good luck!

–Lori

dkcrown
12-15-2011, 06:56 AM
looks great, Jake. Congratulations.

maclay
12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

mzuch
12-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Beautiful site. Congratulations. Love the photography, including the soft focus shots. All gallery navigation buttons worked for me.

What content management system are you using?

Drew Bear
12-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Site loads fine for me on Safari, Chrome & Firefox. There are some similar, but not identical shots, in the gallery. Focus points are intentional.

bbycrts
12-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Jake, your photography and site design are just stunning. I mean...the ukes themselves are great subjects, since they're spectacular...but this really shows them off! Nice job!

Sporin
12-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Great site, beautiful Ukes.

ksquine
12-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Nice website. Should create quite a BUZZ for your ukes ;)

PoiDog
12-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Another suggestion would be to add a bit more information (or at least make it more conspicuous) about the woods you use. It took me a little bit of prodding to see that you only use spruce / mahog.

And, another thing would be to add a pretty visible "more info" or "order" or "pricing" section. As it is, the site looks like a gorgeous promotional place, but not so much of a purchasing one.

Not trying to be critical, just helpful.

ukulelepuapua
12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Awsome stuff! I dont think your lightbox is working correctly for the gallery though!

Allen
12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
That's a very polished and sophisticated looking website Jake. Really nice eye candy and easy to find your way around. A few things I noticed.

Similar comments about the "Models" link. Top link needs to be deactivated, or takes you to another page where you choose between the two you offer.

The Gallery does have too many very similar shots....even though they are spectacular ones, it adds to the download time for the slide show. Also you have the generic camera file names specified in the "alt" tags and they show up when I mouse over the image. I would either delete the "alt" tag or rename the image to something more appropriate.

One the Home page your banner does a similar thing with your images showing alt tags of "banner_maple_5" etc. You should be able to delete the "alt" tag or rename it to something a little more user friendly.

ukuhippo
12-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Good structure, good info, but although I like your photos, I would rather see some more detailed photos of the ukes and probably a little less flowers.

bdukes
12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Very nice site. Love the composition of the pics. I personally like the nature elements juxtaposed with the ukes.

Congrats.

Trinimon
12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice site. Love the photo work. Ukes look nice!

ukeeku
12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I hate to be the one that has to say this, but almost everypage goes to a 404 error.
the frontpage looks nice, but the links don't work. Except about.

mm stan
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Aloha Jake,
Absoultely Stunning Ukes and website...for me the site works fine..wow...I didn't see any prices..

Drew Bear
12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
On the "Specifications" page, under the graphic is a "download pricing sheet" button. On my browser it simply opens a pdf without permanently downloading anything to my computer. YMMV.

I haven't seen a single 404 error. It'd probably help Jake if you specified OS & browser version, so he can narrow down the issues.

The gallery could be culled. The navigation buttons when in fullscreen mode simply bring you back to the smaller screen mode.

maclay
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for the critiques, suggestions, and complements..... It has been extremely helpful!
This is one of the many reasons that I love this site.

PhilUSAFRet
12-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow, incredible looking ukes. If they sound as good as they look....amazing!
Love that Hornet.

ukulelepuapua
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I too would be interested to see how they sound. Video please?

EDIT:

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g45r--WN1xc

maclay
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I too would be interested to see how they sound. Video please?]

I will eventually add video to the site. Until then.......
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=1MZz6cuM0tg

Kanaka916
12-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi Jake, I merged both your threads as there was no reason to double post.

maclay
12-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I hate to be the one that has to say this, but almost everypage goes to a 404 error.
the frontpage looks nice, but the links don't work. Except about.

I haven't seen any 404 errors yet, I will be sure to look into this. Drew Bear is right, if you tell me what OS and browser you are using it would help. Thanks for the heads up :)

Caboose66
12-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Very nice Jake! A fitting showcase for your beautiful instruments. I do agree with one of the other posters about giving info about the materials used. I've seen this info in the pix you posted on the Hive Facebook page.
Also... When you post the sound clips/videos, do everyone a favor and be sure to include the one with Emily Joan singing... Beautiful!

Dean

Dan Uke
12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
For sound samples, I would like to hear some strumming

tonewood
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Really nice looking site. Sweet looking instruments also. Best of luck.

Pete Howlett
12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Great sitte with beautiful instruments Jake. I hope you have a market for these. John Mayes made similar looking instruments a few years back and had a waiting list. My take - little guitars - but I can live with that because I see that is what you are aiming for and i have to concede after a lot of thought about this that this is the 'contemporary' ukulele and I am still stuck very much in the past - maybe one day I will cross that line :) Your designs work because you have rethought the shape and practically everything else follows from that.

I felt that the video on page 3 of this thread with stills didn't really do justice to what I imagine to be the quite complex sound architecture of your instruments. I have found that playing short 'extracts' in a variety of styles gives a better flavour of the sound capabilities than a single piece - and if it is played by you, the maker, you get 'respect' from your subscribers...

I've thought long and hard about posting this and hope it comes over as positive because I really like the work and feel it is something I could aspire to...

RuckMonkey
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow. These are fantastic ukes with amazing sound quality! That video of Michael Watts playing "Ukulele Nocturne" on one of your ukes sounds positively amazing! Not to mention how fantastically clean and crisp your site is! I know I'm commenting WAY late on the game on this, but hey, I'm new around here and I was kicking around the Luthier's Lounge with the intention of drooling, and by golly did you give me something to drool over! :drool:

My take - little guitars - but I can live with that because I see that is what you are aiming for and i have to concede after a lot of thought about this that this is the 'contemporary' ukulele and I am still stuck very much in the past - maybe one day I will cross that line

I can't help but agree with Pete though. Your ukes definitely do have a feeling of small classical guitars to them in looks and from the sound samples I've found so far. Any way we could get a sound sample of them being played in a different style to get a better feel of them?

For real though. You make some of the most lovely and unique ukes I've seen yet.

maclay
12-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks again to all of those who took the time to leave comments and suggestions. Your advice has been extremely helpful, and is greatly appreciated.
__________________________________________________ _______

Great sitte with beautiful instruments Jake. I hope you have a market for these. John Mayes made similar looking instruments a few years back and had a waiting list. My take - little guitars - but I can live with that because I see that is what you are aiming for and i have to concede after a lot of thought about this that this is the 'contemporary' ukulele and I am still stuck very much in the past - maybe one day I will cross that line :) Your designs work because you have rethought the shape and practically everything else follows from that.

I felt that the video on page 3 of this thread with stills didn't really do justice to what I imagine to be the quite complex sound architecture of your instruments. I have found that playing short 'extracts' in a variety of styles gives a better flavour of the sound capabilities than a single piece - and if it is played by you, the maker, you get 'respect' from your subscribers...

I've thought long and hard about posting this and hope it comes over as positive because I really like the work and feel it is something I could aspire to...

Pete, I was hoping you would join the discussion. I learned most of what I know about ukuleles from Rick Turner as the the Compass Rose Ukulele builder in his shop for about 6 years. My experience there
has shown me that an instrument doesn't always have to follow tradition to be great, and its ok to push the boundaries and try something new. I am very proud of the "guitar like voice" my ukes achieve. There are plenty of great traditional style ukuleles out there (yours included)....I am offering something different :)

I see that you and others would like to see a video with some strumming. I will put it on my list of thing to do.

Thank you for your advice, as I deeply value your opinion.

Pete Howlett
12-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Also, there is a market for this so the recidavist guitar players don't have to feel so guilty when they play one :)

gokidd
12-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Good job, Jake!
Almost as pretty as when I saw them LIVE in Healdsburg!
Continued good wishes.