Strum Stick

Haven't tried one of these, but I have made and played a dulcimer and that's basiclly what this is. 5 minute learning curve, this one not very loud, but a little cheapie pickup would expand your "venues." I want to make some of these from cigar boxes, including a bass.

I've played one. They're fun. For $60, it's something to consider.

A uke player would probably get bored with it after awhile, but it might be worth having one laying around for your less-musical friends to use to jam with you.

JJ

P.S. The actual StrumStick(tm) is made my McNally these days. Is this one made by Smokey Mountain Dulcimers a generic knock-off? Or maybe it's the label they were made under way back in the day? Something to take into account when figuring out if it's worth $60. (The McNally one I played was--can't vouch for others.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy one.

I bought the fully chromatic version and played it for a year or so. It was tuned like a dulcimer and I had a lot of fun with it, but sold it after I got into ukulele because the uke is more flexible. It's an odd instrument and catches some attention. Sounds rather tinny, a bit like a banjo, which isn't a bad sound.

Three stringed instruments are fun, though. I've been looking at three-stringed cigar box guitars, too. I have a four-string CBG, though and worry that a three-stringed one will present the same sort of limitations as the Strumstick. The advantage of a CBG is that most have pickups.

Top Bottom