PDA

View Full Version : New design...

Pete Howlett
12-16-2011, 12:10 AM
This is my project for the holidays - what I do when I get 'time off'!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/PeteHowlett/Weissenukefull.jpg

I was gonna call it 'Weissenuke' but I thought that would be confusing.Can't wait til December 26th :)

resoman
12-16-2011, 03:12 AM
That will be cool!! My next major instrument purchase will be a Weissenborn copy. Probably one by Asher
I can't wait to hear yours. Steel strings?? Koa??
th

tonewood
12-16-2011, 04:16 AM
That is really cool. Cant wait to see the picks of that.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Nice Pete but hardly new. There have been quite a few of them built here on the Big island, both solid and acoustic. ("Kona Bob" stoffer does a nice job.) I've been sitting on Weissenborn plans for five or six years now, still collecting dust. As you know, it's the tooling up that takes the time. I also promised myself that I would learn to play the lap steel before I attempted to build a lap uke or guitar. So I bought one last year and now I know it'll be a long time before I build one! The multiple tunings are near impossible for me to learn.
BTW, the down-side to acoustic steel lap ukes is that they are light and tend not to stay on your lap. I'd avoid using Spanish cedar for the neck in favor of something heavier and give the back a satin or flat finish.
Good luck.

Pete Howlett
12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
The Oahu brand built them in the 1930's complete with a paper 'note' guide satuck to the fretboard - like a 'trainer' lap steel. Company was based in Cleveland I think. Saw a few of them in my mate's collection in Ohio...

resoman
12-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I once wanted to build a Weisse (6 string) but I came to my senses!!!
I've got an Oahu square neck that is very cool but I have to keep it in D tunings. It just won't take the G tunings like we use on the rezos.
I'd love to play your Weisenuke

aaronckeim
12-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I did my Masters Degree thesis on the Oahu company and how they spread Hawaiian guitar playing all around the world with their mail order catalogues, radio broadcasts, etc...its how lap steel, pedal steel and dobro got their start!

Pete Howlett
12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Have I got the details right Aaron? Were they based in Cleveland? My friend in Akron sure had a load of instruments branded Oahu...