Shopping in Manhattan

coryke

Reaction score
I just got back from a visit to NYC. While there, I stopped in on a couple of shops to see what was available. There is not a lot to see in the city if you're looking for ukes.

One store, though, deserves some attention: Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleeker St in the Village. The selection was limited with only a couple new Kamakas, Collings, (if I remember correctly) Kalas, and several vintage Martins.

What made the trip to this store was the guy behind the counter, Ardell. He was great and just so enthusiastic about all stringed instruments. He found that great balance of engagement and backing off so that I could try some of the ukes. Thanks, Ardell, for a great visit.

If anyone is shopping in Manhattan and knows of another store with actual customer service, please let me know. And if anyone is searching for a place to go, I'd recommend Matt Umanov Guitars as a decent place to start.

[I have no affiliation with this store. I just enjoyed my trip there in the midst of an ukulele wasteland.]

I just got back from a visit to NYC. While there, I stopped in on a couple of shops to see what was available. There is not a lot to see in the city if you're looking for ukes.

One store, though, deserves some attention: Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleeker St in the Village. The selection was limited with only a couple new Kamakas, Collings, (if I remember correctly) Kalas, and several vintage Martins.

What made the trip to this store was the guy behind the counter, Ardell. He was great and just so enthusiastic about all stringed instruments. He found that great balance of engagement and backing off so that I could try some of the ukes. Thanks, Ardell, for a great visit.

If anyone is shopping in Manhattan and knows of another store with actual customer service, please let me know. And if anyone is searching for a place to go, I'd recommend Matt Umanov Guitars as a decent place to start.

[I have no affiliation with this store. I just enjoyed my trip there in the midst of an ukulele wasteland.]
How about... http://www.evmnyc.com/

As cosmopolitan as Manhattan is, it's a bit of a wasteland when it comes to quality acoustic instruments. Matt Umanov is pretty good; so is Rudy's, in the otherwise icky 47th Street corridor. The best bet always is to take the (free) Staten Island Ferry over to Mandolin Brothers.

Top Bottom