Advice on Buying a New Soprano Uke

ukularwarhead

Reaction score
Hey, all!
I'm planning on using any birthday/Christmas money accumulated this month to buy a new soprano uke, and I would like to hear your input about what models you enjoy the most! I would prefer an all mahogany instrument but I am open to other woods as well. So tell me what you think! Mille gratzie!

Hey, all!
I'm planning on using any birthday/Christmas money accumulated this month to buy a new soprano uke, and I would like to hear your input about what models you enjoy the most! I would prefer an all mahogany instrument but I am open to other woods as well. So tell me what you think! Mille gratzie!

Since you have a solid mahogany Kala, I'd suggest a nice koa soprano. In the under $500 koa category maybe a K brand or Black Bear, but it depends on your budget and your sound preferences to which one. I really like my G-String M1 soprano, but they can be hit or miss.

My two best sounding sopranos are a Kepasa (koa & spruce) and a DaSilva (koa).

Last edited:
those kala SMHS are a great little uke, why not try a Mainland soprano red cedar, i have the tenor size and it is my 'guilty pleasure' its loud, its crisp, its awesome

As you can see from the comments so far, your budget will steer the recommendations. On the Mainland end of the spectrum, the Islander series has been getting good reviews here. On the higher end, you could call the custom luthiers and see what they have in stock. Black Bear & Waverly each have a soprano listed.

An Ohana sk38 vintagetastic if you can find one. They sound and look the business. Or you can be one of the cool kids with a Sailor Brand soprano. :)

+1 on SK38. And the SK35 is well worth it as well...

Top Bottom